This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2273 / 51°13'38"N
Longitude: -0.3313 / 0°19'52"W
OS Eastings: 516613
OS Northings: 148892
OS Grid: TQ166488
Mapcode National: GBR HGJ.T8Y
Mapcode Global: VHGS7.6DPZ
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 25 July 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061404
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489643
Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, RH4
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish
District Council Ward: Dorking South
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Dorking St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
850/0/10030 ST PAUL'S ROAD
25-JUL-02 CHURCH OF ST PAUL
Parish church. Nave and chancel of 1857 by Benjamin Ferrey in Gothic style with north aisle added in 1860, probably by Ferrey. Pulpit and chancel stalls added in 1866. South aisle added in 1869 by R Hubbuck. In 1897 the choir vestry was added to the north east and the organ and organ chamber added. Refurbishment of 1903 included new font cover, clergy stalls, prayer desk and pews. West porch added in 1931 in matching style. Flint with stone dressings and tiled roof with weatherboarded and shingled bellcote. Comprises four and a half bay nave with west bellcote, lower two bay chancel, north east vestry and west porch.
EXTERIOR: West front has central projecting gable with rose window, five lancets with arcading below and large square porch. Wooden bellcote set diagonally has a weatherboarded base and shingled spire with cast iron cross. Similar gabled aisles have trefoil lights with triple arches with traceried central lights below. Gabled porch with colonnettes to south west. Aisles have traceried windows divided by buttresses. Large traceried east window. L-shaped vestry to south east.
INTERIOR: Arcade with pointed arches with octagonal columns and stiffleaf moulding. Nave and aisles have arch-braced roofs supported on corbels, the nave roof additionally having tension braces. Stone font with circular top and octagonal colonnette base with 1903 ornamental font cover and octagonal pulpit with four marble colonnettes to base. Pews of 1903. South aisle has stained glass window of 1860 and 1873 stained glass window with scenes from the life of St Paul. North aisle east window dedicated to Thomas Hope of Deepdene depicting Risen Christ and below an oak panelled War Memorial with two paintings of angels. Elaborate chancel arch with columns with stiffleaf capitals and marble columns. Chancel has elaborate arch-braced roof with arched tension braces and a band of trefoils. Marble-lined walls. Marble wall monument to George Turnour Horton Aitchison d 1861. Stained glass windows, south window "Pray that ye enter not into tempation", east window the Adoration of the Magi and Shepherds and north window "Raising of the Daughter of Jairus". Wooden communion rails and elaborate clergy stalls of 1903. The sanctuary has fine quality Minton tiles and a reredos survives behind later C20 curtaining with painted angels and a marble HISTORY: The site was donated by Henry Thomas Hope of Deepdene but the money for building it given by Henry Labouchere of Broome Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings