This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0102 / 55°0'36"N
Longitude: -1.4348 / 1°26'5"W
OS Eastings: 436243
OS Northings: 568549
OS Grid: NZ362685
Mapcode National: GBR LBFH.5S
Mapcode Global: WHD4R.XBXG
Entry Name: Irvings Building
Listing Date: 26 July 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061408
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489647
Location: North Tyneside, NE30
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Tynemouth
Built-Up Area: Tynemouth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: North Shields Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
1022/0/10033 UNION QUAY
26-JUL-02 Irvings Building
Offices, sale room, chandlers' shop, workshops and warehouse of Richard Irvin and Sons. 1913. Red brick with ashlar dressings; hipped slate roof to range on right, flat roof to steel-framed or reinforced concrete range to left.
PLAN: office range located to right (NE) of warehouse which is cranked towards the N.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey office to right has modillion cornice to deep band, outer canted bay windows and central window all with stone-mullions and cross transoms; swags carved in band above ground floor openings, all square-headed with carved brackets to cornice over and pilasters rising to pyramidal finials flanking shop window to right. Tall 4-storey 3-bay range to left, with three segmental-arched openings to ashlar ground floor and recessed bays articulated by pilasters with flat-relief carved capitals beneath broad entablature and cornice with stepped central parapet; segmental-arched windows.
INTERIOR: timber columns with cast-iron compression columns to range on left; the timber floors said to have marks on the floor where the nets were pinned out for repair. Reported to have oak panelling etc in range in right.
HISTORY: This building has stylised architectural detailing typical of the period and is the most prominent building on the harbour front at North Shields. It was built as a multi-functional commercial premises for Richard Irvin and Sons, fishing boat owners, fish salesmen and auctioneers. Irvin was a renowned pioneer of steam trawling, and was reputed to be the largest operator in the industry outside Peterhead in Scotland. Being such a large employer (with over 30 boats and hundreds of workers), Irvins ran a banking system for their own employees which was housed in the office range, which had a first-floor boardroom, on the right.
This building is a large-scale, prominent and historically important example of the industrial-scale, specialist fishing port that was the creation of the last quarter of the C19, and was concentrated around the North Sea ports of England and Scotland.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings