History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block to East of Stanford Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Westrill and Starmore, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4088 / 52°24'31"N

Longitude: -1.1372 / 1°8'14"W

OS Eastings: 458785

OS Northings: 279329

OS Grid: SP587793

Mapcode National: GBR 8Q5.TJJ

Mapcode Global: VHCTM.7QN8

Entry Name: Stable Block to East of Stanford Hall

Listing Date: 11 January 1955

Last Amended: 5 June 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1061435

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191488

Location: Westrill and Starmore, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Westrill and Starmore

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Stanford St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Lutterworth

Listing Text

SP 57 NE WESTRILL AND STARMORE STANFORD PARK

7/69 Stable block to east of
11/01/55 Stanford Hall (formerly
listed with Stanford
Hall)

GV II*

Stable block. 1737 by Francis Smith of Warwick for Sir Thomas
Cave. C20 alterations. Brick with stone dressings. C20 plain
tile roofs. Plinth, quoins, cornice, coped parapet. 2
courtyards. 2 storeys. South front: 7 bays, symmetrical.
Central 3 bays emphasised by quoins and triangular pediment, with
clockface dated 1737. Large, central entrance with rubbed brick
segmental arch. To left and right, 3 glazing-bar sashes with
shouldered architraves and sills with brackets. Above, 7 smaller
glazing-bar sashes with shouldered architraves. Rooftop cupola
with weathervane. Courtyard ranges have dentilled cornices,
segmental-arched vehicle entrances, and casements with cambered
arches. Range to east retains inside 6 original wooden stalls
with posts with balls. Doorway in north range, aligned with
south entrance, has Doric doorcase with triangular pediment, and
leads to 2nd courtyard (q.v.)


Listing NGR: SP5878579329

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.