History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cotesbach, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4371 / 52°26'13"N

Longitude: -1.2086 / 1°12'30"W

OS Eastings: 453899

OS Northings: 282421

OS Grid: SP538824

Mapcode National: GBR 8PW.18Q

Mapcode Global: VHCTL.00FJ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 11 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1061446

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191406

Location: Cotesbach, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Cotesbach

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Cotesbach St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Lutterworth

Listing Text

SP 58 SW COTESBACH MAIN STREET
(north side)

3/4 Church of St Mary
11/01/55
GV II*

Parish church. C14, C15, rebuilt c1700, extensively restored,
and stuccoed, 1812. Mostly rendered over cobble stone and brick,
in places, partly stuccoed to imitate stone, some limestone
rubble to tower; sandstone buttresses. Lead roofs. South tower,
nave south porch, north aisle, chancel. Continuous plinth.
Coped parapets and gables with kneelers. Buttresses with set-
offs. All windows restored in C19. West wall has exposed C18
brickwork and chamfered, pointed arch 3-light window with
reticulated tracery and hoodmould. North aisle west wall has
small, chamfered pointed arch, single-light window with
hoodmould. Diagonal buttress at north-west corner. North wall,
from west to east, a blocked, round-arched doorway with hoodmould
and late C19 stone memorial cross. Then a chamfered, pointed
arch, single light window with hoodmould. Diagonal buttress at
north-east corner. East wall has a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-
light window with hoodmould. South wall of nave has 3, 2-light
clerestory windows, with chamfered, square frames with
hoodmoulds. South porch has a plain doorway with C19 double
gates. Roof inside has C15 moulded beams. Chamfered, pointed
arch south doorway with C19 4-panel door. To west a buttress.
To east, a 2-light window with chamfered rectangular frame with
hoodmould. 2-stage tower with 4 string courses and coped parapet
with pointed arch blank windows at corners. South elevation:
small, chamfered loop-hole, with C20 clock face above, in lower
stage. Above, in 2nd stage on all elevations, a chamfered,
pointed arch, single-light, louvred bell-opening with hoodmould.
Date 1812 inscribed below parapet on north elevation. Chancel
has continuous string-course. North wall, from west to east: a
buttress,followed by another buttress, then a chamfered, ogee-
arched 2-light window with hoodmould, then another buttress.
South wall, from west to east: a buttress, followed by a priest's
doorway, with chamfered four-centred arch with hoodmould, and
plank door, then a chamfered, ogee-arched, 2-light window with
hoodmould, followed by a buttress. East wall has gable with
cross finial, and chamfered, pointed arch, 3-light window with
reticulated tracery and hoodmould. To either side, a buttress.
INTERIOR: 2-bay arcade with double-chamfered pointed arches, with
keeled responds with moulded capitals and bases. 2 arches
between nave and chancel, forming crossing, both double
chamfered, with responds with moulded capitals and bases.
Crossing has a caernarvon arch tower doorway to south. Chancel
has continuous string-course. Moulded, four-centred arch doorway
in south wall and four-centred arch piscina in south-east corner.
C19 wooden, traceried reredos. C18 barleysugar twist altar
rails. C18 panelled octagonal pulpit. C19 altar, lectern, pews,
stalls, organ. 15, C19 candleholders with stylised brass leaves
fitted to pews. C19 drum font on square base, with stepped lid.
MONUMENTS; marble wall memorial on north wall of crossing, to
Elizabeth Marriott (d.1819). Above, a marble wall to Rev. Robert
Marriott (d.1008). Marble wall memorial on north wall of north
aisle, to Caroline Marriott (d.1811). Also on this wall, a late
C19 memorial cross in blocked round-arched doorway. WWI memorial
brass plaque on south wall of crossing. C19 roofs. Stone
flagged floors.

(Buildings of England: Leicestershire: p.141)


Listing NGR: SP5389982421

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.