This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5012 / 52°30'4"N
Longitude: -0.9696 / 0°58'10"W
OS Eastings: 470039
OS Northings: 289757
OS Grid: SP700897
Mapcode National: GBR BS2.1PS
Mapcode Global: VHDQS.4DRD
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 21 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061466
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191346
Location: Foxton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16
Civil Parish: Foxton
Built-Up Area: Foxton
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Foxton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 78 NW FOXTON SWINGBRIDGE STREET
(north west side)
The Manor House
House. Possibly C14. Mid C17, partly rebuilt mid C18, C20 alterations. Brick
and stone. Swithland and Welsh slate roofs. Ridge stack and gable stack with
stone base. Chamfered stone plinth. T-plan. East front: 2½ storeys, 3 bays.
Central doorway with C20 brick porch with Ceanarveon arched doorway with panel
door. To left, a 3-light casement with cambered arch. To right, a C20 4-light
casement with concrete lintel. Above, when brickwork replaces stone, to left,
two 2-light casements and to right a 3-light casement all with cambered arches.
Above again, 2 smaller 2-light casements, both with cambered arches. At right, a
lower 2-storey, 2-bay addition with gable stack, chamfered stone plinth and stone-
work to a height of c 2.5 m, thereafter brick. Off-centre doorway with C20 glazed
door. To right, a 3-light casement with cambered arch. Above, two 2-light case-
ments with cambered arches. Rear wing: C17, stone. Brick coped gables, with
brick ridge stack. 2 storeys with basement. North wall has 2 arched doorways,
possibly C14 with steps half below ground level, to basement. Between these, a
C20 flight of steps rising to C20 French windows with wooden lintel. West gable
wall has chamfered plinth with a 2-light casement above with wooden lintel.
Above, a similar window. South wall has chamfered plinth. Above to right, a
2-light casement with wooden lintel and above, a gabled dormer with 2-light case-
ment. In angle between rear wing and front range, an outshut, continuing plinth,
with above, a 3-light casement with mid C17 stone mullions. Above, brick replaces
stone and there is a sliding sash. All windows are C20 replacements. Interior:
Lower 2-storey range has C18 chamfered main beam with joists on ground floor and
straight staircase to upper floor,, which has C18 king post truss and was
originally used for agricultural purposes. Outshut has C18 joists on ground
floor. Rear wing, upper floor has 2 upper cruck trusses with side purlins, also
C18. East facing range, first floor has mid C17 stone fireplace with moulded
chimneypiece. Attached ancillary ranges, formerly for agricultural use and of no
special architectural interest, run north and east of house. A datestone
inscribed 1397, which may have come from an earlier building upon this site has
been reset in a nearby garage of no special architectural interest.
VCH, V, 90.
Listing NGR: SP7003989757
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings