History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Tower House

A Grade II Listed Building in Lubenham, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4776 / 52°28'39"N

Longitude: -0.9629 / 0°57'46"W

OS Eastings: 470532

OS Northings: 287133

OS Grid: SP705871

Mapcode National: GBR BS8.PCC

Mapcode Global: VHDQS.8Z9K

Entry Name: The Tower House

Listing Date: 9 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1061477

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191376

Location: Lubenham, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Lubenham

Built-Up Area: Lubenham

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Lubenham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Lubenham

Listing Text

LUBENHAM RUSHES LANE
SP 7087-7187 (east side)
7/49
No 32 (The Tower House)

GV II

House, formerly a C18 farmhouse, substantially altered, Gothicised, and converted
into a hunting box in 1865 for Benedict John Angell. Brick with stone dressings.
Slate roofs. 2 brick gable stacks. South front: altered C18 range: 2½ storeys,
3 bays. first floor stone band. Dentilled eaves cornice. Central doorway flanked
by C19 canted bays with cross windows. Above, 3 cross windows, all with stone
quoins and hoodmoulds. To left of central window, a datestone inscribed: J C 1771.
Above again, 3 gabled 2-light dormers. Then, at left, a C19 2-storey, 2-bay
forward-standing addition with bargeboarded gables and first floor brick string-
course. Left bay has a 2-storey pointed bay window, with Gothic tracery. Right
bay has a polygonal bay window, with 2-light pointed arch window above. West
elevation has brick plinth and first floor string. Then from left to right, a
2-storey tower with circular corbelled staircase turret with conical roof and a
2-light pointed arch window, with a lancet above, plus 2 small plaques inscribed
"1865" and "B.I.A". To right, a gabled bay with a 2-light window with flat arch,
and to right again, a 3-light oriel window with conical roof. To right again,
a corbelled-out stack. All windows have tracery.


Listing NGR: SP7053287133

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.