This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5331 / 52°31'58"N
Longitude: -0.9349 / 0°56'5"W
OS Eastings: 472346
OS Northings: 293331
OS Grid: SP723933
Mapcode National: GBR BRQ.4G4
Mapcode Global: VHDQL.RL3J
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 21 July 1951
Last Amended: 9 March 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061500
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191331
Location: East Langton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16
Civil Parish: East Langton
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Church Langton with Tur Langton
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 79 SW EAST LANGTON STONTON ROAD
2/6 The Old Rectory
(formerly listed as
House. c1780s, possibly by William Henderson of Leicester for William Hanbury
Jnr. Brick with stone dressings. Hipped Swithland slate roof behind parapet. 1
ridge stack, and 2 lateral stacks. Stone plinth, 1st floor bands, dentilled
cornice, and central pediment. South front, 2½ storeys, 5 bays, with central
three pedimented forward projection, with a large semi-circular arch flanked
by smaller semi-circular arches, all in gauged brick. Central doorway with stone
surround, flat hood, and fascia decorated with swags, 6-panel door and fanlight.
To left and right, 2 glazing bar sashes with gauged brick flat arches. Above, a
central Venetian window consisting of a glazing bar sash with semi-circular arch,
flanked by side light with flat arches, all in gauged brick. To left and right, 2
glazing bar sashes with gauged brick flat arches. Below the Venetian window and
its flanking sashes, there are aprons with stone balusters. Above again, 4
smaller glazing bar sashes with gauged brick flat arches. The pediment has 3
acroteria with C20 cement urns replacing the originals. Tympanum was originally
decorated with a central stucco urn with Adamesque garlands. Fragments remain at
the house. Flanking the main block are single storey 1-bay screen wall wings.
Each continues the plinth and uppermost of first floor bands of the main block,
and each consists of a short stretch of brick wall, with a stone scroll at the
junction with the main block, followed by a forward standing projection with
triangular, coped pediment with stucco fascia decorated with a sunflower and a
swag. Below, there is a single glazing bar sash with gauged brick flat arch, set
within a double ordered gauged brick arch. Beyond this a further short stretch of
wall terminates in a pier, again with a stone scroll at its junction, with coping
and a C20 cement urn on top. North front, plainer than south. Stone plinth,
first floor bands and dentilled cornice. Giant order angle pilasters with stone
capitals. Central doorway with stone surround, triangular pediment and part-
glazed door with overlight. To left and right, 2 glazing bar sashes with gauged
brick flat arches. Above, a central glazing bar sash, with stone surround
consisting of an apron with balusters, fluted pilasters and a segmental pediment.
To left and right, 2 glazing bar sashes with gauged brick flat arches. Above
again, a smaller glazing bar sash with plain stone surround, flanked by 2 similar
sashes on each side. Again, the attached screen walls continue the plinth, and
both first floor bands from the main block are resumed along a parapet with
central panel of balusters, topped with a C20 cement urn at the end of the wall.
Each wall has a ground floor cill band and a single glazing bar sash with gauged
brick flat arch. The space between the screen walls on the east side of the house
has been filled with a C19 single storey service block. Interior: central
entrance hall with flanking rooms and arches to left and right giving onto stair-
cases. Main staircase has slim turned balusters and a plain moulded rail.
Sources: VCH, V, p200. CL, June 23, 1960, 1442-1445; CL May 10, 1979, 1454-
Listing NGR: SP7234693331
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings