This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5025 / 52°30'9"N
Longitude: -1.1164 / 1°6'59"W
OS Eastings: 460075
OS Northings: 289769
OS Grid: SP600897
Mapcode National: GBR 9QK.0L1
Mapcode Global: VHCT7.LCND
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 January 1955
Last Amended: 18 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061506
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191240
Location: Bruntingthorpe, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17
Civil Parish: Bruntingthorpe
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Bruntingthorpe St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 68 NW CHURCH WALK
Church of St Mary (previously listed
4/18 as "St Mary's Church")
Parish Church. Only the base of the tower survives from a medieval building.
The rest is of 1873 by W. Smith of London, in an Early English style. Mostly
coursed and squared small blocks of limestone rubble, with limestone dressings
and plain tiled roofs with ridge cresting, but the tower is of random granite
rubble. West tower, nave with north aisle and chancel. 2 stage buttressed tower
with saddleback roof and foiled lancet windows. Tall south wall with windows
of 1, 2 and 3-lights and an almost round headed doorway with chamfered jambs.
Steep roof to nave with cross finial on eastern coped gable. Chancel roof
also steeply pitched and with coped eastern gable. 3-light east window in
early Decorated style and 2-light Decorated windows to south, with priests
door. Gabled vestry projects to north and buttressed north aisle has chamfered
archway to doorway and foiled and paired lancet windows. Plinth and ashlar sill
band throughout. Dark interior, with double chamfered tower arch and nave arcade
of 3 bays both with semi-octagonal responds and piers, and made from banded ashlar.
The outer chamfer of the arcade terminates in a simple stop on each pier. Steep
and lavishly timbered roof with common rafters and collar purlins, some main
trusses. Semi-octagonal responds to chancel arch, the foliate capitals and
outer hood mould with corbel heads. Panelled wagon roofed chancel. C12 or C13
font, a circular basin with 2 moulded horizontal ribs, on modern base. Stained
glass; western aisle window of 1873, and the Annunciation in paired aisle lancet,
of 1891. Chancel and south windows have glass forming a series of 1915-19.
Other fittings all contemporary with the restoration, including a wood screen to
vestry with fretted tracery decoration.
Listing NGR: SP6007589769
Other nearby listed buildings