History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broughton Astley, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5292 / 52°31'45"N

Longitude: -1.2258 / 1°13'32"W

OS Eastings: 452618

OS Northings: 292655

OS Grid: SP526926

Mapcode National: GBR 8NP.GWK

Mapcode Global: VHCSZ.PPTG

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 11 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1061557

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191159

Location: Broughton Astley, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE9

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Broughton Astley

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Broughton Astley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Broughton Astley

Listing Text

SP59 SW
3/10

BROUGHTON ASTLEY
OLD MILL ROAD (West Side)
Church of St. Mary

11.1.55

GV
II*
Parish Church. Largely early C14 though the chancel is earlier, and the spire
is Perpendicular. The Church was restored in 1882 by W. Bassett-Smith of
London. Random granite rubble with limestone dressings and Swithland slate
roofs. West tower and spire, nave and large north aisle, chancel. Tower is a
massively squat structure, with angle buttresses and two stages with embattled
parapet with corbel-table and recessed later spire with small lucarnes. The
paired casped bell chamber lights are set beneath a pointed arch with hollow
chamfered shouldered jambs. Big west window of 3-lights of finely reticulated
tracery. Buttressed south wall with low pitched C19 gabled porch and the
recut tracery in a linear Perpendicular style. Paired clerestory lights are
set in hollow chamfered arched recesses. Fabric of chancel seems largely of
earlier and probably C13 date: most of it is of cobble construction, though
the upper courses are granite. Externally all features are of a later date
however: there is a Perpendicular south window and a tiny priests door with
hollow chamfered jambs. Added vestry to south. String course across east
wall rises below the east window which is of 4-lights, a Victorian renewal in
a late Decorated style. The north aisle is wide, with its own pitched roof
and clerestory, similarly detailed to the nave. Its windows vary from
reticulated to linear forms but appear to be renewed. Its east window however
is a particularly flowing example of reticulation. Buttresses and string
course. Inside, the north aisle is similar in size to the nave, giving the
Church almost a double-naved appearance. The west tower arch is largely
obscured by the organ but is single chamfered. The nave arcade of 4 bays has
arches with sunk quadrant mouldings. The west respond is of clustered shafts,
but the other piers are octagonal with flat panelled capitals, 2 of which are
ornamented with simple quatrefoils and floral emblems in very low relief.
Nave roof with tie beam is Victorian, but some of the corbel heads seem to be
original. Chancel arch has quadrant mouldings but its responds are
Victorian. The chancel screen with cross dates from the restoration of the
Church. Piscina apparently a survival of the C13 building, a simple foiled
recess. Archway to north chancel chapel has clustered shafts as responds and
is of shallow pitch, the arch almost straight sided. Stained glass: some
fragments of C14 glass survive in north and south windows and the east aisle
window. Some of the fragments are merely floral or heraldic emblems, but
there are also two pairs of angels, vigorously swinging censers. In the
chancel north window is glass of 1866, richly coloured medieval style
narrative. Late C19 wood reredos, in an Arts and Crafts idiom. Painted blue
green red and gold it has two central figures of kneeling angels in low relief
and a frieze of vine motifs etc., the lines of the foliage highly stylized.
Victorian front seems to have used the aisle capitals as its inspiration: it
is also octagonal with simple raised floral emblems. C12 pillar piscina in
south aisle has chevron stem with cable moulding beneath scalloped squared
basin.


Listing NGR: SP5261892655

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.