History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Shangton, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5572 / 52°33'25"N

Longitude: -0.9462 / 0°56'46"W

OS Eastings: 471538

OS Northings: 296001

OS Grid: SP715960

Mapcode National: GBR BRB.MM3

Mapcode Global: WHFKY.FZNH

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1061581

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191118

Location: Shangton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Shangton

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Shangton

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Church Langton

Listing Text

SHANGTON
SP79 NW
4/96
7.12.66 Church of St. Nicholas
GV II*
C13-C15, 1863 and 1874. Coursed rubble stone with quoins and leaded,
Swithland slate and Welsh slate roofs. Stone coped gables with finials. Nave
with W. bellcote, chancel, N. vestry, and S. porch. Nave has buttresses with
set-offs and flat-topped Perp. windows. W. 2-light with tiny 1-light to S.
over. Gabled bellcote with 2 rounded arches and bells. N. 2-light, doorway,
and 3-light. 2 S. 3-lights, that to E. with foliage label stops to hood
mould. S. doorway with stepped arch. Mainly C19/C20 4 bay low-pitch tie-beam
roof. Double chamfered chancel arch (triple to E.), the inner on polygonal
responds. N. vestry and organ chamber of 1874 with arch of same date to
chancel. E. wall of chancel rebuilt 1863 and has window with Geometric
tracery filled with stained glass of 1877 by Heaton and Butler. 2 S. windows,
E. with Curvilinear tracery and C19 stained glass. Aumbry. C19 2 bay roof.
S. porch has doorway with single chamfered arch. Late C14/C15 octagonal
font. Frieze of quatrefoils reset as reredos. Marble wall monument erected
by Matthew Saunders, 1612, to wife Margaret, died 1605. Strapwork and
flanking columns. Their tomb slabs are immediately W. of altar. Possibly
some medieval work in fragment of mainly C19 screen standing at W. end.
V.C.H., Vol. V, and Pevsner.


Listing NGR: SP7153896001

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.