History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tur Langton, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5441 / 52°32'38"N

Longitude: -0.9492 / 0°56'56"W

OS Eastings: 471360

OS Northings: 294542

OS Grid: SP713945

Mapcode National: GBR BRJ.DVW

Mapcode Global: VHDQL.HBK1

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Last Amended: 23 January 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1061583

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191126

Location: Tur Langton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Tur Langton

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Church Langton with Tur Langton

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Church Langton

Listing Text

TUR LANGTON
HIGH STREET (South Side)
SP79 SW
7/104
7.12.66 Church of St. Andrew
G V II*
Church. 1865/6. By Joseph Goddard of Leicester. Red brick with stone
dressings and dark blue brick string courses. Welsh slate roof with stone
coped gables and finials. Decoration both outside and inside in cut brick and
dark blue brick. In the Early English style. N W tower and spire, nave, N
aisle, chancel and S chancel vestry. Tower of 3 storeys with angle
buttresses, N.W. doorway, paired lancets on 2nd stage with small round window
over, and 4 shafted triple lancet bell openings. Moulded and cut brick
frieze. Broach spire with 1 tier of lucarnes, finial and weathercock. Large
W window with lancets and rose window over. Plate tracery and stained glass
of 1877. 4 bay N arcade, the arches with cut brick decoration, on circular
piers. N clerestory of small quatrefoil windows. 5 3-light S windows with
plate tracery. 5 bay roof with curved braces to collars. N aisle has paired
lancet windows. Semi-circular chancel apse with lancets filled with stained
glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Wagon roof to chancel, the braces round
the apse supported on shafts and stone corbels. S. chancel vestry with
lean-to roof. N chancel organ chamber. Pevsner and V.C.H., Vol.V.


Listing NGR: SP7136094542

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.