This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.573 / 52°34'22"N
Longitude: -1.0297 / 1°1'46"W
OS Eastings: 465856
OS Northings: 297685
OS Grid: SP658976
Mapcode National: GBR 9PP.QGR
Mapcode Global: WHFKX.4LYB
Entry Name: Great Glen Hall, Including Cistern
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191054
Location: Great Glen, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8
Civil Parish: Great Glen
Built-Up Area: Great Glen
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Glen Magna St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 69 NE
3/32 (North Side)
19.10.51 Great Glen Hall,
Small country house. Earlier C19. Probably for Sir George Robinson Bt.
Colourwashed stuccoed brick and Welsh slate low-pitch hipped roof with brick
ridge stacks. In Nash villa style with band, wide bracketted eaves, and cast
iron work with Egyptian details. 2 storeys of 5 2/2 sash windows on 1st floor
: 2 on 2 2-storey bowed projections and 3 in 3 recessed giant depressed arches
in centre and to either side of bows. Depressed arched lintels. On ground
floor, from left, French window with top lights, bowed 2-leaved part-glazed
door and 3 French windows with top lights. Along the whole front is an open
verandah with glazed roof and cast iron supports, and which follows the bowed
projections. Stone flagged floor. Further 2 storey bow on right end with 2/2
: 4/4 : 2/2 sash over tripartite French window. Inside is a staircase hall
the walls of which are outlined as if ashlar. Stone flagged floor and
staircase treads. Gallery supported on cast iron brackets and cast iron
balustrade with Egyptian details. Lantern top. 6-panelled mahogany doors and
marble fireplaces. Close to rear and linked to it by brick wall is a
lead-lined water cistern of stuccoed brick in the Egyptian style. Octagon
plan, c3m high and tapering towards top where hipped roof. Foliage cornice
frieze. Lion's head tap spout towards garden and trough towards yard. Great
Glen Hall, then known as the Manor House, was bought by C.W. Packe in 1847,
and had previously been the property of Sir George Robinson, Bt. White's
Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877, and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SP6585697685
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings