This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5337 / 52°32'1"N
Longitude: -0.8044 / 0°48'15"W
OS Eastings: 481198
OS Northings: 293542
OS Grid: SP811935
Mapcode National: GBR CT7.1H0
Mapcode Global: VHDQP.0LM0
Entry Name: Buffalo Lodge with Gate Piers, Gates and Walls to Either Side of Gate Piers
Listing Date: 26 April 1985
Last Amended: 15 January 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061618
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191006
Location: Nevill Holt, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16
Civil Parish: Nevill Holt
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Six Saints circa Holt
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
Buffalo Lodge with gate piers, gates and Walls to either side of gate piers
(Formerly listed as: Buffalo Lodge with gate piers, gates and walls)
Lodge with gate piers, gates and walls. Dated 1880. Lodge of coursed rubble stone with quoins and stone dressings and Collyweston slate roof with moulded stone central ridge stack. In Tudor style.
Stone coped gables with kneelers and finials. One and a half storey, gabled cross plan, main gable facing. Here a four-light canted stone bay with Tudor arched lintels and leaded lights. Cornice, and battlements pierced by crosslets. In angle to left a canted stone porch with hipped roof and plank door. Two-light window on left gable with one-light over. Two-light on right side of main gable, then two-light on right cross wing and similar stone bay on gable end. Brick rear yard walls end in pier with flame finial.
Extending from left end of Lodge a coursed rubble stone wall which links Lodge to left hand ashlar gate pier. The pair of piers, possibly C18 in origin, have set-in corners, moulded cornices, blocking course over, and carved stone heraldic finial on curved base. Bull's head surrounded by coronet. Total height approximately 5m. Between the piers are a tall panel either side, two gate piers and a pair of gates, all in wrought iron with scrolls and crestings. These are c4m high. Extending south from the right hand gatepier is another coursed rubble stone wall which ends in a brick pier with flame finial. Over the lodge bay window is a stone tablet inscribed 'B.C. 1880', for Sir Bache Cunard.
Listing NGR: SP8119893542
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings