History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Allexton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Allexton, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5952 / 52°35'42"N

Longitude: -0.7994 / 0°47'57"W

OS Eastings: 481419

OS Northings: 300391

OS Grid: SK814003

Mapcode National: GBR CSG.8QF

Mapcode Global: WHFL0.P1J8

Entry Name: Allexton Hall

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1061660

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190903

Location: Allexton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE15

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Allexton

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Hallaton St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Withcote

Listing Text

ALLEXTON
SK 80 SW

1/1 Allexton Hall

19.10.51 II

Country house. Late C16/C17 with large additions of 1904. Additions by William
J. Shearburn for George Pauling. Fine coursed squared stone with quoins and
Collyweston slate, part parapetted, roof with various moulded stone valley and
end stacks. Stone dressings, moulded string course, and stone coped shouldered
gables. 2½ storeys in Jacobean style. Entrance front has projecting facing gable
on either end. That to right is original range, which faces right and has on
1st floor 3 12/12 sash windows (that to right has 2-light casement instead of
lower sash). On ground floor are 3 3-light stone mullion and transom windows
and, centre left, a 2 leaved door. 4-centred arch and 3-light stone mullion overlight.
On left end (entrance front right gable), a 3-light stone mullion and transom
window on both floors and 3-light stone mullion attic window, the upper 2 with
hood moulds. On inner return a 3-light mullion and transom window with hood mould.
The centre of entrance front has gable with finials and large projecting porch
with diagonal buttresses and 3-light on either side. 2 leaved door with 4-centred
arch. On right a gabled and canted side porch and 6-panelled door within. To
left a 3-light stone mullion and transom window. On 1st floor a similar 3-light
either side 4-light with French window. Gable with finials over. Left gable on
entrance front has a ground floor 1-light either side projecting stack. On left
side is the garden front, the left hand section set back. 3 2 storey 6-light
canted stone bays and further windows and part-glazed door. Extending from right
corner of entrance front a stone wall linking house with 2 c1904 1 storey outbuildings
to either side and in front of right side (original range). Between these a stone
wall with central higher 4-centred archway. In original range roof are original
tie-beam trusses and purlins. Architect and date from building accounts kept
at house.


Listing NGR: SK8141900391

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.