This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0845 / 53°5'4"N
Longitude: -0.4299 / 0°25'47"W
OS Eastings: 505259
OS Northings: 355293
OS Grid: TF052552
Mapcode National: GBR FPM.L4M
Mapcode Global: WHGJT.CQJQ
Entry Name: Ashby Hall
Listing Date: 23 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 192545
Location: Ashby De La Launde and Bloxholm, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN4
District: North Kesteven
Civil Parish: Ashby de la Launde and Bloxholm
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Ashby-de-la-Launde St Hibald
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
ASHBY DE LA LAUNDE MAIN STREET: Ashby
TF 05 NE AND BLOXHOLM (north side)
Country house, now country club. Early and late C16, early and late C18 and
late C19 with C20 alterations and additions. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar
with ashlar dressings. Fishscale tile roof with coped gables, kneelers and
finials plus a pierced quatrefoil parapet. A single and six pairs of moulded
ashlar stacks, plus a single large external stack to the north west now capped.
Chamfered plinth. U plan, with the central court now filled by a C20 single
storey kitchen. 2 storey plus attics. North front of 6 irregular bays, with
an off-centre projecting 2 storey gabled porch with a moulded 4-centred arched
doorway with a flat hood, and double doors. Above a 4 light oriel window topped
with a quatrefoil parapet and battlements, and above again a single light window.
The 2 bays to the west have 2, partially blocked 2 light mullion windows and
2 similar, unblocked windows above, between is a capped external stack with
set-offs. To the east, a single 5 light cross mullion french windows, and beyond
a 4 light cross mullion cambered bay window with strapwork gables. Above 3,
2 light mullion windows, with above the centre one, a small gable with a single
light casement. The east gable wall has a large 2 storey, late C18 semicircular
bow window with 3 glazing bar sashes to each floor, topped with a cornice and
a plain parapet. The remainder of the east front is now obscured by a large
C20 white brick extension. The late C19 E-plan west front has a central 2 storey
gabled porch, with a re-sited late C16 finely moulded round arched doorway,
flanked by single fluted Roman Doric columns on high bases, with an entablature
surmounted by a re-cut pediment containing the coat of arms of Edward King and
the date 1595, with crocketed side finials. Above a C19 ornately carved 3 light
oriel window, with carved animal heads on the hood, and a small pointed arched
niche in the gable. Either side are 2, 2 light mullion windows, with 2 similar
windows above, above again a single light window in a small central gable.
The projecting side winfs each have, 2 storey 4 light cambered bay windows topped
by quatrefoil parapet and battlements. Above small, single light windows.
On the inner court wall of the west wing there is a finely moulded, early C16,
4 centred arched doorway at first floor level. Interior: Has a fine early C16,
moulded, 4-centred arched doorway, various early C18 moulded round arches and
an ashlar, bolection moulded fireplace, plus a single moulded plaster ceiling.
Listing NGR: TF0525955293
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings