History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Oswald

A Grade II* Listed Building in Asgarby and Howell, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0016 / 53°0'5"N

Longitude: -0.31 / 0°18'36"W

OS Eastings: 513507

OS Northings: 346256

OS Grid: TF135462

Mapcode National: GBR GS2.SK0

Mapcode Global: WHHLD.6TM8

Entry Name: Church of St Oswald

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1061833

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192556

Location: Asgarby and Howell, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

Civil Parish: Asgarby and Howell

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Heckington St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Howell

Listing Text

ASGARBY AND HOWELL HOWELL
TF 14 NW
3/10 Church of
St. Oswald
1/2/67
G.V. II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, restored 1870. Coursed
limestone rubble and ashlar, slate roofs. Nave with bellcote,
chancel, South porch, north aisle and chapel. West end of C14
ashlar added to earlier rubble nave. 2 light west window with
reticulated tracery in a pointed surround, flanked by stepped
buttresses. Above a gabled double bellcote with pointed bell
openings. The north aisle has a single C13 lancet in a chamfered
surround to the west. The north wall of the aisle has 2 two
light C15 windows with trefoil heads and chamfered rectangular
surrounds, also a blocked segmental headed doorway. The C15
north chapel contains 2 two light windows in the north wall with
cusped ogee tracery, quatrefoils to the heads and hollow
chamfered rectangular surrounds. To the east is a 3 light window
with cusped intersecting tracery in a hollow chamfered pointed
surround. The C14 chancel east window is of 2 lights with
reticulated tracery. In the south wall of the chancel are 2
matching windows, one C19. In the south wall of the nave is a 3
light C16 panel traceried window with slightly pointed heads to
the lights and a hollow chamfered surround. The gabled south
porch has a continuously moulded outer doorway with above a stone
shield of arms. Side benches. The reset C12 inner doorway has
nook shafts, cushion capitals, a plain tympanum with scratch dial
and a single plain order beneath the chamfered hood mould.
Interior: 3 bay north arcade of c.1200, circular piers, annular
capitals, octagonal responds, double chamfered round arches. At
the east end of the north aisle a pointed double chamfered C13
archway with shafted reveals leads into the north chapel. In
the north wall of the chancel is a similar opening. In the south
wall is a single and in the north wall a double aumbry. In the
north chapel is a further aumbry, 2 statue brackets on the east
wall and to the west a blocked circular quatrefoil window.
Fittings: in the north chapel are 6 quarries of C15 painted
glass. Early C18 tapering turned baluster altar rails with
moulded handrail. C19 openwork ashlar pulpit. C14 octagonal
font with cusped quatrefoil panels, armorial shields and moulded
underside to plain octagonal stem. In the porch is a C10
tapering limestone ashlar grave slab with a tall central raised
cross flanked by single smaller crosses. Monuments: in the
north chapel a cusped pointed C14 tomb recess contains a ledger
slab depicting busts of a lady and a child, both praying and in
trefoiled surrounds. Also in the north chapel an alabaster wall
monument to Sir Charles Dymoke and wife with 2 praying figures in
a surround of Corinthian columns supported on acanthus brackets
with a moulded entablature and armorial escutcheon. In the
sanctuary a low relief slab to John Croxby, Rector, c.1470, a
robed and tonsured figure beneath a trefoil arch, black letter
marginal inscription. In the chancel is a similar plain slab
with marginal inscription to Sir Nicholas de Hebden d.1416 and
his wife Katherine d.1424. A further slab in the nave of 1458
commemorates Richard Boteler and his wife.


Listing NGR: TF1350746256

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.