History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nocton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1637 / 53°9'49"N

Longitude: -0.4149 / 0°24'53"W

OS Eastings: 506067

OS Northings: 364125

OS Grid: TF060641

Mapcode National: GBR FNN.PWW

Mapcode Global: WHGJF.LRM0

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 23 August 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1061911

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192333

Location: Nocton, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN4

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

Civil Parish: Nocton

Built-Up Area: Nocton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Nocton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Dunston

Listing Text

TF 06 SE
5/58

NOCTON,
THE GREEN (south side),
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

23/8/67

II*


Parish Church. 1862 designed by Sir G G Scott for the Countess of Ripon. Ancaster
stone ashlar with polychromiatic ashlar dressings, plain tile ridge roof. North-west
tower, nave, south aisle, chancel, vestry and south porch. Double chamfered plinth
with moulded band. Ashlar coped gables with moulded kneelers and finials. Angle
buttresses. West front has large nave window, 2 pairs of lancets topped with circular
foil incorporated under continuous hoodmould. Simpler geometric tracery window in
tower. Three storey square tower with angle buttresses, octagonal bell chamber and
octagonal spire 130 ft high. North front has deeply recessed pointed doorway,
Y-tracery window above. Four tall geometric tracery bell openings above and 4
lucarnes in spire. Nave has 3 geometric plate tracery windows under flush relieving
arches. Two smaller similar windows to chancel with hoodmoulds. East front has
another similar to south chancel aisle, and larger 5-light geometric tracery window
flanked by buttresses topped with crochetted pinnacles. South gable porch has angle
buttresses with canopied niches containing statues of the Apostles. Pointed recessed
openings has mandala-shaped niche above containing statue of Christ. South aisle has
moulded ashlar coped parapet, and lead roof. Four clerestory lancets are set into
continuous blind arcade. Three geometric plate tracery windows below. Pair of similar
windows to vestry and chancel aisle. Interior has 4-bay arcade with moulded
capitals. Paintings on chancel walls, over chancel arch and west window, painted dado
on nave north wall. Marble and alabaster reredos with carved scenes of the
Crucifixion, the Deposition and the Entombment. Square Caen stone font on green marble
columns. Caen, Ancaster and red clansfield stone pulpit also on green marble
columns. Stain glass by Calyton and Bell. Painted wooden roofs, contemporary wooden
pews and choir stalls. Iron alter rail. Encaustic tiled throughout. Large monument
1680, possibly by William Stanton, to Sir Qn Ellys; 1816 to Robert, Earl of
Buckinghamshire; 1846 to Rev H L Herbert; 1859 designed by Sir G G Scott, carved by
Matthew Noble to first Earl of Ripon.


Listing NGR: TF0606764125

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.