History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old King's Head

A Grade II Listed Building in Kirton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9278 / 52°55'40"N

Longitude: -0.0595 / 0°3'34"W

OS Eastings: 530540

OS Northings: 338472

OS Grid: TF305384

Mapcode National: GBR JX0.HSF

Mapcode Global: WHHLX.1NYV

Entry Name: The Old King's Head

Listing Date: 19 November 1951

Last Amended: 5 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1062023

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192093

Location: Kirton, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE20

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

Civil Parish: Kirton

Built-Up Area: Kirton (Boston)

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Kirton-in-Holland St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Wyberton

Listing Text


TF 33 NW KIRTON HIGH STREET
(south east side)

9/41 The Old King's Head
(Formerly listed as
19.11.51 Kings Head Hotel)

G.V. II

Former public house, now house. Early C16, 1599, cross wing
1661, major alterations in Fen Artisan Mannerist style, with C19
and C20 alterations. Red brick in English bond, ashlar dressings
and stucco, with pantile roof over thatch. Raised brick coped
gables with corbelled out kneelers, single axial triple stack
with diagonally set shafts with dentillated tops. T-plan, of
hall block with gabled cross wing of 1599. Originally Lobby
entry. 2 storey with garret, 5 bay front, the right hand bay
advanced and gabled. Ashlar plinth. Single brick and stucco
bands, dogtooth eaves course raised to a dentillated course early
C20. Rusticated brick quoins. Off-centre panelled double doors
with plain overlight in added square porch with flat roof. To
left 2 margin light sashes and to right a similar window, all
with rusticated brick reveals and cambered heads. Original door
now blocked also has rusticated reveals and a pedimented brick
head, containing an ashlar panel carved with a lion rampant. To
first floor are 2 margin light sashes flanked by shorter brick
pilasters. To the right the moulded head only of a 4 light C16
brick mullioned window. In the gable an ashlar datestone 1599
with initials TW, and in the base of the principal stack a
further datestone of 1661 and initials IW. To left gable are
single blocked windows to each floor with brick surrounds,
segmental heads and stepped up string courses. Interior retains
C16 roll moulded bressumer to hall inglenook and chamfered beam
with pyramid stops. End room has cyma moulded beam with ogee
stops. Trapped purl in pegged oak roof, with timber and reed
partitions.


Listing NGR: TF3054038472

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.