History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

South Cottage, Village Hall and Church View Cottage and Garden Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Algarkirk, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8985 / 52°53'54"N

Longitude: -0.082 / 0°4'55"W

OS Eastings: 529112

OS Northings: 335167

OS Grid: TF291351

Mapcode National: GBR JXC.B2P

Mapcode Global: WHHM2.QD4T

Entry Name: South Cottage, Village Hall and Church View Cottage and Garden Wall

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Last Amended: 5 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1062043

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192055

Location: Algarkirk, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE20

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

Civil Parish: Algarkirk

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Algarkirk St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Algarkirk

Listing Text


TF 23 NE ALGARKIRK CHURCH ROAD
(west side)

8/2 South Cottage,
Village Hall and
Church View Cottage
and garden wall
(Formerly listed as
School)
26.1.67
II

Formerly schoolmasters' houses and school, now 2 cottages and
Village Hall, and garden walls. By Sir G. G. Scott, patron Rev.
B. Beridge, 1856. Squared, coursed limestone rubble with ashlar
quoins and dressings, Westmoreland slate roof with stone coped
gables, moulded kneelers. 2 shaped ridge stacks. E-plan, school
in centre flanked by cottages. Single storey, 9 bay front, with
chamfered plinth, centre bay is an advanced and gabled porch with
spired bellcote. The end 2 bays have one bay advanced and gabled
with upper floors, the others set back with partly external gable
stack. A pair of lancets in porch, which contains single
doorways to each side with Caernarvon arched heads and trefoils
with moulded hoods. Shields over door, one dated 1856. Flanked
by 2 pairs of stepped trefoiled lancets, moulded octagonal shafts
and chamfered over arches. Beyond are 2 light windows with
Caernarvon arched heads, moulded octagonal centre shafts and
chamfered rectangular surrounds. To the upper floors in the end
gables are pairs of similar windows with trilobe heads, pointed
over arches with rosettes in tympana. The recessed end bays have
pent lead roofed porches, with timber bases, arches and lattice
work. To first floor a 2 light window with moulded mullion and
flat head. In front attached to the cottages are low rubble
garden walls with moulded ashlar copings, terminating at each end
in low coped piers.


Listing NGR: TF2911235167

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.