History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cotton Hall and Garden Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Frampton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9336 / 52°56'0"N

Longitude: -0.0179 / 0°1'4"W

OS Eastings: 533319

OS Northings: 339190

OS Grid: TF333391

Mapcode National: GBR JX2.297

Mapcode Global: WHHLX.PJPD

Entry Name: Cotton Hall and Garden Wall

Listing Date: 26 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1062055

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191966

Location: Frampton, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE20

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

Civil Parish: Frampton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Frampton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Wyberton

Listing Text


TF 3239-3339 FRAMPTON FRAMPTON ROADS
(south side)

15/50 Cotton Hall and
garden wall

G.V. II

Farmhouse and garden wall. Possibly built in 1689 for the Cotton
family. Altered C19, with minor C20 alterations. Red brick in
English bond, old plain tiled roof with steeply pitched tumbled
gables, moulded brick kneelers, ridge and axial ridge brick
stacks, with bands. U-plan, with rear stair projection. First
floor band and dogtoothed eaves course. 2 storey with garrets, 5
bay front, originally 7, the end bays advanced and separately
gabled. To the left a doorway, now covered by C20 lean-to, has
to the right a C19 tripartite sash and a plain sash. To first
floor are 3 similar windows. The advanced wings both have a
single sash and blocked opening to each floor. In the gables a
blocked opening. All openings have brick segmental heads. In
the rear is an early C18 door and frame. Interior retains dogleg
staircase in rear stair projection with large barley sugar turned
balusters with acorn bases, moulded handrail. Chamfered and ogee
stopped beams. To the right of the front an 8'0" high brick
garden wall in Flemish bond, with pilaster brick buttresses to
front, plain brick coping, stepped to right hand end. Source:
Whites Directory, 1856.


Listing NGR: TF3331939190

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.