History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Faith

A Grade II* Listed Building in Braceborough and Wilsthorpe, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7095 / 52°42'34"N

Longitude: -0.3847 / 0°23'4"W

OS Eastings: 509225

OS Northings: 313647

OS Grid: TF092136

Mapcode National: GBR GWM.5K4

Mapcode Global: WHGLS.2525

Entry Name: Church of St. Faith

Listing Date: 30 October 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1062675

English Heritage Legacy ID: 194436

Location: Braceborough and Wilsthorpe, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, PE9

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Braceborough and Wilsthorpe

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Wilsthorpe St Faith

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Manthorpe

Listing Text

TF 01 SE BRACEBOROUGH WILSTHORPE
AND WILSTHORPE
5/53 Church of St. Faith
30.10.68

- II*

Parish church. 1715, restored and altered by James Fowler, 1869.
Ashlar, Collyweston and lead roofs. Nave, western upper tower
and spire, chancel, south vestry. Moulded plinth, frieze,
cornice. The west end has fluted angle pilasters, to a triglyph
frieze with guttae, pierced parapet with semi-circular headed
arches, and angle obelisks on the base of which is the date
1715. The tower has rusticated fluted quoins and a slate hung
C19 broach spire. To each side is a single 2 light windowwith
annular mid shaft and foliate decoration key and impost blocks to
the semi-circular arched surround and circular holes to the
tympanum. Double 6 panelled doors with wooden fan above set in a
moulded elliptical headed arch, to either side are pilasters with
moulded imposts supporting paired scrolled brackets to a
segmental open pediment. Above a sexfoil window in a moulded
surround. The nave side walls have 4 two light Cl9 windows with
annular shafts and cinquefoils set in the early C18 semi-circular
headed moulded architraves with key and impost blocks. The
chancel is blank on the sides but has rusticated quoins. In the
east end is a 3 light C19 window also in an earlier semi-circular
headed surround. On the south side an added vestry in Norman
style with 2 light window in south side. Interior. Western
gallery in the base of the tower, semi-circular headed arch to
first floor, with barley sugar balusters to handrail. The nave
roof has chamfered and moulded principals supported on scrolled
wooden corbels. Chancel arch is semi-circular with moulded
imposts and jewelled keystone. In the south wall a Norman style
round headed vestry doorway with plain imposts, and the chancel
roof is supported on stone corbels decorated with palmettes in
Romanesque style. Fittings. Handsome barley sugar twist
communion rails with moulded handrail. All other fittings are
C19 except for the moulded and fluted shallow octagonal font
which has an octagonal stem to a tapering square base.
Monuments. In the sanctuary a late C13 but recut effigy of a
knight in chain mail with decorated surcourt, feet resting on a
dog. On the south wall of the nave a marble wall plaque to
Curtis family, 1759, by E. Bingham of Peterborough, a pediment,
angels, books and a rectangular inscription panel with escutcheon
beneath.


Listing NGR: TF0922513647

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.