This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.712 / 52°42'43"N
Longitude: -0.3527 / 0°21'9"W
OS Eastings: 511377
OS Northings: 313982
OS Grid: TF113139
Mapcode National: GBR GWH.TYF
Mapcode Global: WHGLS.K376
Entry Name: Church of St. John the Baptist
Listing Date: 30 October 1968
Last Amended: 22 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1062701
English Heritage Legacy ID: 194400
Location: Baston, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, PE6
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Baston
Built-Up Area: Baston
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Baston St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 11 SW BASTON CHURCH STREET
6/17 Church of St. John
30.10.68 the Baptist
Parish church. Early C13, c.1403, C15, C16, chancel rebuilt
c.1860. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar, lead and Collyweston
slates. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south
porch. 3 stage ashlar C15 tower, having clasping buttresses,
chamfered string courses, embattled parapet with angle pinnacles.
In the belfry stage are 2 tiered 4 centred arched belfry lights
in hollow chamfered surrounds. The west wall has a 3 light panel
traceried window with above a large clock. To the side walls on
the first floor are single 2 light windows. C15 north aisle with
5 three light windows, single at the ends and 3 at the sides, all
having cusped ogee heads and 4 centred surrounds. C16 clerestory
of 4 paired lights in chamfered surrounds, and plain parapet.
C19 chancel in squared limestone with Collyweston slate roof. 2
light side windows and to the east a 3 light window. To the
south is a priest's door and a single light window. The C14
coursed limestone rubble south aisle has a fleuron frieze to the
parapet and a C15 3 light panel traceried east window. In the
south side are 2 C19 3 light windows with beyond a further 3
light window having cusped ogee heads to the lights. Beside it
are 2 blank panels with trilobed heads, part of a frieze which
also survives on the west wall. Also in the west is a plinth
with quatrefoils, a 3 light early C15 window with above a sunk
quatrefoil and to the gable a gabled single bellcote. This work
may belong to c.1403 when a chapel to St. Mary was created.
c.1403 gabled south porch having wave moulded and pointed outer
arch with above an elaborate trefoil headed niche with side
pinnacles and crocketed ogee canopy. C18 6 panelled double doors
match the inner 4 panelled door, which is set in a continuously
moulded and pointed surround. Interior. 4 bay C13 double
chamfered nave arcades with octagonal piers and responds, moulded
capitals. Tall C15 tower arch with moulded head, embattled
octagonal capitals and side shafts with bell moulded bases. In
the south aisle a C15 cusped headed piscina and a C15 cambered
tie beam roof with moulded principals matching that to the nave.
Chancel arch is early C13 with roll moulded and chamfered head
and annular capitals with hob nailing. Fittings are all C19 and
C20, except for the C13 octagonal plain tub font on square base.
Fine C14 oak iron bound churchwardens' chest with curved feet.
Listing NGR: TF1137813983
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings