History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. James

A Grade I Listed Building in Aslackby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8601 / 52°51'36"N

Longitude: -0.3893 / 0°23'21"W

OS Eastings: 508537

OS Northings: 330394

OS Grid: TF085303

Mapcode National: GBR GTP.QCJ

Mapcode Global: WHGKZ.ZCRQ

Entry Name: Church of St. James

Listing Date: 30 October 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1062757

English Heritage Legacy ID: 194228

Location: Aslackby and Laughton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Aslackby and Laughton

Built-Up Area: Aslackby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Aslackby St James

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Rippingale

Listing Text

ASLACKBY AND TEMPLE ROAD
TF 03 SE LAUGHTON (north side)
3/15 Church of St. James
30.10.68
G.V. I

Parish church. c.1300, c.1320, mid C15, restored and chancel
rebuilt 1856. Limestone ashlar, coursed ironstone rubble. Slate
roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials, some lead. West
tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, and
chancel. Early C14 west tower partially clasped by north and
south aisles, with moulded plinth and string course, and 3 stage
angle buttresses, the north-west buttress containing stair turret
with single slit and single round lights. The other buttresses
have single gargoyles projecting from angle in between at
corners. All the buttresses carry long, square shafts
terminating in pinnacles. Pointed C14 west doorway with
continuous moulded surround, hood mould and plank doors. Large
pointed blind opening above with roll moulded jambs and single
small cusped openwork motifs in position of capitals. Late C15
window inserted with pointed head, bowtell moulded surround, 3
pointed, cusped lights divided by 2 castellated transoms, panel
tracery and hood mould running into string course on either side.
Large, blind pointed openings on north and south sides, the
latter possibly blocked at later date, and both broken into by
the lean-to roofs of aisles below. North side with C15 coped and
corbelled chimney stack inserted. Moulded string course defines
bell stage. Bell openings on all 4 sides each with pointed head,
2 cusped ogee headed lights with quatrefoil above and hood mould.
Clock inserted into south bell opening. Moulded eaves above with
projecting gargoyles, battlements with corner pinnacles. North
aisle of c.1300 with plinth and moulded string course. West end
with pointed window with chamfered surround, Y tracery and hood
mould. North side with blocked doorway to west with pointed head
and continuous chamfered surround. Large pointed window to right
with 2 pointed, cusped lights flanked by single sharply pointed
lights, quatrefoil and hood mould. 2 rectangular windows to left
of doorway, each with 3 cusped ogee headed lights divided by 2
stage buttress with gabled setoff. Parapet above. Mid C15
clerestory with pilaster buttresses alternating with 3 pairs of
windows with segmental heads, 2 cusped ogee headed lights and
hood moulds. Moulded eaves and battlements above. Chancel of
1856 with plinth and string course. North side with 2 plain
lancets. East end with 2 stage diagonal buttresses and pointed 3
light window with intersecting tracery and hood mould. Monument
re-set to east of window to Mary Skelton, died 1767. South side
of chancel with 3 pointed windows with Y tracery. Pointed
doorway below to left with continuous chamfered surround, hood
mould running into string course and plank door. Early C14 south
aisle with plinth and moulded string course. East end with
pointed 3 light window with intersecting tracery and hood mould.
South side with 2 rectangular windows, each with 3 cusped ogee
headed lights. Gabled C15 porch to west with plinth and moulded
string course. Blocked pointed opening, in east and west sides
with hood moulds running into string course. Pointed south
doorway with semi-circular jambs with castellated capitals,
moulded head and hood mould. Porch interior with flanking stone
benches. Interior south doorway with pointed head, continuous
keeled, roll moulded surround, hood mould and plank doors.
Moulded eaves and parapet above with cross finial and corner
pinnacles. South side of aisle west of porch with rectangular
window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights. Ashlar monument to left
to Thomas Windsor, died 1799. West end of south aisle with
pointed window with chamfered surround, Y tracery and hood mould.
Crude C17 flowing cusped parapet runs along south side of aisle.
C15 clerestory above with gabled and cusped pilaster buttresses
alternating with 3 pairs of windows each with segmental head, 2
cusped ogee headed lights and hood moulds. Moulded eaves above
and diamond frieze containing shields, battlements above. To
east a small octagonal turret with castellated top and squat,
plain pinnacle with finial. Interior tower arch of c.1300 with
tall triple chamfered pointed head with hood mould, triple rolled
jambs with continuous hollows, moulded capitals and central
filleted rolls. Tower interior's north and south walls with
outline of tall pointed blocked openings with lower, shallow
pointed relieving arches. Stair turret doorway to north west
with pointed head, continuous moulded surround and plank door. 3
bay north and south aisles of c.1300 with pointed, moulded heads
in 2 orders, with hood mould, quatrefoil piers with continuous
hollows and broad fillets, tall octagonal plinths, moulded
capitals and octagonal abaci. Chancel arch of c.1300 with triple
chamfered, pointed head with hood mould, responds of triple rolls
with continuous hollows, fillets, moulded capitals and polygonal
abaci. C15 tie beam roof over nave with curved braces and stone
corbels, restored in C19. South wall of south aisle with C14
piscina with ogee shaped cusped head. North east wall of south
aisle with small pointed doorway with continuous moulded surround
and plank door, with small pair of rectangular recesses to east.
North aisle in north side of chancel pier with cusped, pointed
piscina with moulded cornice with castellations and flower heads.
Aumbry in north wall with wooden door. Chancel with rectangular
aumbry in north wall. C19 wagon roof over chancel. C14 font
with octagonal pedestal with curved re-entrant panels with flower
head decoration, octagonal bowl with shields set in quatrefoiled
panels and blind traceried panels alternating. C19 altar rails,
pulpit, choir stalls, reading desk, eagle lectern and chairs.
Monuments include a black and white marble monument to the
Reverend Joseph Barwis, died 1828; a white marble oval to Colby
Graves, died 1791; a black and white marble monument with urn to
Samuel Newzam, died 1826; a white marble oval on single scrolled
corbel, to Colby Graves, died 1799; a grey and white marble
monument with urn and ornate apron, to Thomas Grey, died 1803;
and a grey and white marble monument to Samuel Derby, died 1819.


Listing NGR: TF0853730394

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.