History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old School (Behind Nos.2-6 Bourne Road)

A Grade II Listed Building in Swinstead, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7912 / 52°47'28"N

Longitude: -0.489 / 0°29'20"W

OS Eastings: 501991

OS Northings: 322582

OS Grid: TF019225

Mapcode National: GBR FT0.WR6

Mapcode Global: WHGLB.G3DJ

Entry Name: Old School (Behind Nos.2-6 Bourne Road)

Listing Date: 15 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1062781

English Heritage Legacy ID: 194185

Location: Swinstead, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG33

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Swinstead

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Swinstead St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Swayfield

Listing Text

SWINSTEAD BOURNE ROAD
TF 0022-0122 (east side)

15/211 Old School (behind
Nos.2-6 Bourne Road)

G.V. II

Former outbuilding of old Swinstead Hall, converted to a school
and now being converted to a house. c.1720, probably by Sir John
Vanbrugh, with conversions of c.1800 and 1985. Coursed limestone
rubble with ashlar dressings and quoins, yellow pantile roof with
single gable and massive ridge stone stacks. Single storey 5 bay
front with chamfered plinth, originally 3 bay. The 3 original
openings have semi-circular heads with keyed ashlar surrounds. To
either side of the central one are later openings with flat
ashlar lintels. Interior retains large ashlar fireplace with
central wide arch flanked by smaller narrower arched openings,
the right hand one housing a bread oven. The arches are
segmental with raised keystones and imposts. The other side of
the central stack has a large fireplace with flat ashlar lintel
and keyblock, ashlar piers and imposts. White's 1856 directory
describes the school as having been the kitchen of a large hall
taken down by the last Duke of Ancaster (d.1809).


Listing NGR: TF0195422578

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.