This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9877 / 52°59'15"N
Longitude: -0.6783 / 0°40'41"W
OS Eastings: 488820
OS Northings: 344187
OS Grid: SK888441
Mapcode National: GBR DP3.PBH
Mapcode Global: WHGK8.K56F
Entry Name: Hougham Manor House
Listing Date: 19 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1062890
English Heritage Legacy ID: 193938
Location: Hougham, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Hougham
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Hougham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK 84 SE HOUGHAM MANOR LANE
5/49 Hougham Manor House
Country house; early C13, early C15, late C16 and with C19 and C20 additions
and alterations. Coursed and banded limestone and ironstone rubble with
ashlar dressings, stone coped gables and stone ridge stacks on tiled roof.
Parallel ranges, with C15 and later range attached to east. North front of
2 storeys with garret, has plinth and low moulded parapet. 5 bay facade with
quoins having central C20 panelled door with overlight covered by C19 open
porch of Tuscan columns supporting narrow frieze and cornice; flanked by 2
windows with C19 timber cross mullions in earlier moulded stone surrounds with
flat lintels and keystones. 5 first floor windows are similar. Interior
has in south eastern room an early C13 triple respond approx. 5'6" in diameter
with a plain chamfered capital and triple corbels above. The western wall
of the same room is contemporary and contains an internally splayed window
and in the same wall as the respond is at least one other contemporary arched
opening. This may be the base of a keep tower of the de Bussey family. East
of the main block is the south wall of a chapel licensed in 1405. This
contains 3 large 2 light early C15 perpendicular windows with cusped heads.
This was the site of the Medieval house of the de Bussey family and is
surrounded by a moat.
Source: D. L. Roberts, unpublished M.A. Thesis.
Listing NGR: SK8882044187
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings