History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Oswald

A Grade II* Listed Building in Strubby with Woodthorpe, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3202 / 53°19'12"N

Longitude: 0.1795 / 0°10'46"E

OS Eastings: 545274

OS Northings: 382576

OS Grid: TF452825

Mapcode National: GBR YZP1.NJ

Mapcode Global: WHJL6.QTP1

Entry Name: Church of St. Oswald

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1062988

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195640

Location: Strubby with Woodthorpe, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Strubby with Woodthorpe

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Strubby Wold Marsh St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Maltby le Marsh

Listing Text

TF 48 SE STRUBBY WITH WOODTHORPE CHURCH LANE
(east side)
5/36 Church of
9.3.67 St. Oswald
G.V. II*
Parish church. c.1300, C15, 1857 by Maughan and Fowler with
chancel of 1874 by Ewan Christian. Red brick and banded
greenstone, ashlar dressings, with plain and decorative tiled
roofs. Nave with western bellcote, south aisle and porch,
chancel, vestry. All windows have cusped ogee heads, panel
tracery and chamfered surrounds with hoods. In the west wall of
the south aisle is a 2 light window and in the nave one of 3
lights. Openwork timber bellcote with facetted copper spirelet.
In the north wall are 4 two light windows and in the gabled
vestry a lancet. The east chancel window is 3 lights with
reticulated tracery. In the south wall is a 2 light window and a
further c.1300 2 light window with cinquefoil in the east wall of
the south aisle. In the aisle south wall are 3 three light
windows with triangular heads. The gabled south porch has a
pointed outer arch and a continuously moulded and hooded inner
doorway. Interior. The C15 4 bay south arcade has octagonal
piers and double chamfered arches. The chancel arch is C19.
All fittings are C19 but the octagonal font is C15 with panels of
trqacery patterns. Monuments. In the chancel is an early C14
headless effigy of a civilian, under a nodding ogee arch. In
the nave is a small tablet to William Ballett d.1648 aged 99, of
Woodthorpe Hall. He and his 2 wives are depicted in Elizabethan
dress, kneeling opposite each other across a prayer desk. Above
the parents against the back wall of the tablet are the figures
of his children.


Listing NGR: TF4527482576

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.