History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Alford, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2615 / 53°15'41"N

Longitude: 0.178 / 0°10'40"E

OS Eastings: 545371

OS Northings: 376045

OS Grid: TF453760

Mapcode National: GBR YZPQ.BK

Mapcode Global: WHJLL.P9Y0

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 20 May 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063001

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195570

Location: Alford, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Alford

Built-Up Area: Alford

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Alford St Wilfrid

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Alford

Listing Text

ALFORD WEST STREET
TF 4476-4576
(north west side)
5/47 The Manor House
20-5-53

II*

House, now museum and offices. Mid C16, cased in brick in C17,
altered C18 with C19 additions and C20 alterations. Originally
timber frame with mud walls, now red brick, with thatched roof
having raised brick coped gables with kneelers, 2 ridge and
single wall stacks. 2 storey with garrets, 7 bay front arranged
2:3:2, the outer pairs being advanced and gabled. First floor
and gable bands. The original door position was to left of the
now central C20 double panelled doors with C20 wooden pedimented
doorcase, flanked by 3 glazing bar sashes. The inner sashes
have C20 flat brick heads, the outer pair have segmental brick
heads. To first floor are 7 similar windows, the outer pairs
are in the blocking of earlier larger openings. To gables are
single glazing bar sashes, also occupying larger earlier
openings. To the left of the central first floor window is a
Fire Company plaque. At the right hand side and the rear are
lower C19 additions. Interior retains substantial bay posts on
steddlestone blocks with deeply moulded beams with run out stops
supported on jowled posts. There are 3 large brick fireplaces
with moulded bressumers. The staircase is early C19 with plain
balusters. In a first floor room is a good early C18 bolection
moulded fireplace and some wattle and daub partitions remain.
The original clasped purlin roof has been substantially altered
in the 1969 restoration. In 1661 the house became the home of
Sir Robert Christopher whose tomb is in the church.


Listing NGR: TF4537176045

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.