History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Saltfleetby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3905 / 53°23'25"N

Longitude: 0.1868 / 0°11'12"E

OS Eastings: 545518

OS Northings: 390417

OS Grid: TF455904

Mapcode National: GBR YYR7.79

Mapcode Global: WHJL0.V13K

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063055

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195489

Location: Saltfleetby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Saltfleetby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Saltfleetby St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Saltfleetby Saint Clement

Listing Text

SALTFLEETBY ALL SAINTS CHURCH LANE
TF 49 SE
(north side)
6/47 Church of
All Saints
9.3.67
G.V. I

Parish church, now redundant. C12, C13, C14, C15, 1611, 1873,
repaired 1886 by R. J. Withers. Coursed greenstone, limestone
and ironstone rubble, limestone ashlar, some red brick, some
render. Lead and slate roofs with some decorative ridge tiles,
stone coped gables and cross finial. West tower, nave with south
aisle and south porch, chancel with south-east chapel. Late C12
west tower raised in C15 with large 5 stage diagonal buttresses
of 1886 including stair turret in south-east buttress. 2 tall
central west lancets, one above the other with string course
above. Deeply chamfered C15 rectangular windows above on west,
north and south sides with outlines of blocked C12 round headed
bell openings on all 4 sides. C15 bell stage with pair of
pointed openings on all 4 sides, each with bowtell moulded
surround, 2 cusped, barely pointed lights, panel tracery and hood
mould with central head label stop. Moulded eaves above with
projecting corner gargoyles and battlements. North side of nave
with plinth and fragmentary string course running to east of
western-most window. Single late C15 windows flank pointed
doorway with moulded surround and plank door. Outline of gable
above. Large rectangular windows, each of 3 lights and transom,
that to west with rich triple ogee cusping and panel tracery;
that to east with cusped ogee headed lights and panel tracery.
North side of chancel heavily restored in 1873 with plinth and
pointed window to west of c.1300 with 2 plate traceried lancets
with oculus, C19 hood mould and label stop heads and apex head.
Pointed window of c.1300 to east with Y tracery and hood mould.
East end with plinth, angle buttresses and large, pointed window
restored in C19 with panel tracery, hood mould and large head
label stops. South side of chancel with C19 rectangular window
with 3 cusped, ogee head lights and hood moulds. South aisle of
nave with plinth and regularly placed pilaster buttresses with
broader buttresses of 1886 alongside. Pointed C15 window to east
with 3 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head
label stops. Small blocked rectangular opening to west set above
pilaster buttress. 2 windows of c.1300 to west each with Y
tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Gabled C15 porch with
2 stage angle buttresses with gabled upper stages. Pointed
doorway with jambs of clustered slender shafts with delicate
turned capitals, shields and flower heads in spandrels,
fragmentary moulding above with inscription: 'Situs est sanctum
Johis' Grantham de Moulton, Pahoni istius Ecclesiae' flanked by
shields bearing emblem of Passion and crucifix. Moulded eaves to
gable above with small flower head motifs. Porch interior
flanked by benches and with pointed inner C14 doorway with richly
moulded head and jambs in one, with hood mould, single head label
stop to west and plank door. 2 pointed windows of c.1300 to west
of porch, both with Y tracery, hood moulds and weathered label
stops. West end of south aisle with pointed window of c.1300
with Y tracery, hood mould and head label stops and head at apex.
Blocked rectangular opening above. Interior early C13 tower
arch, with low, pointed, triple chamfered head and keeled
responds with rich stiff-leaf capitals. South-east and north-
east corners inside -tower with fragmentary springers of rib
vault. 2 steps lead up into tower with large stone flags, some
with illegible medieval inscriptions, 2 respond or rib sections
on floor. To east of tower, 2 massive buttresses added when
tower was raised in C15. North arcade of c.1200 with 4 bays plus
narrower bay to west; double chamfered, pointed heads, round
piers with plain moulded capitals and abaci, western respond
supporting upper wall broached and moulded corbel; eastern
respond with slender shaft and plain capital. Broad mid C12
chancel arch with pointed, double chamfered head, semi-circular
responds and large scalloped capitals. C14 screen of 5 panels
with openwork upper panels each with 2 lights and rich, cusped
tracery. Lower cusped traceried panels with rosettes on cusps.
Similar screen to south-east chapel, with slightly simpler
tracery design. Chancel with double south arcade with 2 mid C12
bays overlapping with single C13 bay. To south, 2 narrow bays
with single chamfered steeply pointed heads with hood mould,
central round pier with scalloped capital, semi-circular responds
with lower sections embedded in rectangular masonry and with
plain moulded capital. to north, a single broad, double
chamfered pointed arch blocking triangular headed C12 opening to
east, with pointed corbelled responds and C19 traceried screen.
Chancel with aumbry to north and piscina to south, both with
triangular heads and latter with quatrefoiled well. Damaged
medieval tombstone and C20 altar rail in chancel. South chapel
with moulded string course with 3 small grotesque heads running
under C14 carved stone reredos with central trefoil headed panel,
cusped and finialled gable with ornate flanking pinnacles
supported on grotesque heads. Rectangular blocked opening
immediately to south, and small head corbelled shelf on south
wall. C16 altar table. C19 altar rail re-using C15 poppy head
finials. Fragmentary stone on window ledge inscribed with crude
sun and 1731 WKFCCI. Nave and south aisle with fine C15 tie beam
roofs, repaired in 1611, with cusped purlins, castellated wall
plates and ornate bosses. Medieval tombstone in north-east of
nave with barely legible inscription. Ornate Jacobean pulpit
with richly carved panels containing round headed arches and
stylised flowers and leaves. Tall early C17 pulpit presented to
church by Oriel College, Oxford, with pedimented panels
containing arches in perspective. Fragment of tombstone on
north-west window ledge of nave with inlaid brass lettering. 3
bells, one dated 1630 and another 1675. C18 box pew. Font
consisting of 3 separate moulded sections, with C13 octagonal
bowl with large trefoils on each face and the filleted capitals
of 8 clustered shafts replaced by cluster of C14 filleted pier
mouldings, with C15 richly carved octagonal base, possibly a bowl
set upside down, with panel tracery and 4 large grotesque heads.
Fragments of 2 late C12 capitals on south window ledge
immediately west of porch with stylised leaves and large beads.
Various C18 gravestones. C16 chest.


Listing NGR: TF4552090418

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.