History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sotby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2931 / 53°17'35"N

Longitude: -0.1946 / 0°11'40"W

OS Eastings: 520433

OS Northings: 378867

OS Grid: TF204788

Mapcode National: GBR WZ2C.N7

Mapcode Global: WHHK2.ZHH9

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063066

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195415

Location: Sotby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Sotby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Hemingby group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Sotby

Listing Text

SOTBY PANTON ROAD
TF 27 NW
(south side)
6/40 Church of
St. Peter
14.9.66
G.V. II*

Parish church. Early C12, C13, late C18, 1857 by Michael Drury.
Greenstone rubble blocks, limestone ashlar dressings, some red
brick patching, some render. Slate roofs with decorative ridge
tiles, stone coped gables and eastern cross finial. Bell turret,
nave, chancel. C18 nave restored in C19. West front with C19
round headed doorway with rectangular jambs, hood mould and plank
door. Small C18 round headed window above with Y tracery. C19
bell turret with round headed opening containing bell, gable
above with cross finial. North side of nave with plinth and
single late C18 window with round head, Y tracery and red brick
patched surround. 2 stage buttress to east. North side of
chancel plain. East end of C13 chancel restored in C19, with
single stage diagonal buttresses with C19 setoffs. C19 east
window of 3 lancets, that in centre, taller, with continuous hood
mould and 2 label stops. South side of chancel with C19 plate
traceried window of 2 trefoil headed lights with quatrefoil
above. South side of chancel with plinth and C18 round headed
window with Y tracery. Interior north west wall with piscina in
round headed niche. Early C12 chancel arch with round head with
2 rolls, large, moulded imposts with looped motif on west
corners, rectangular western jambs, chamfered eastern head and
jambs. North wall of chancel with tomb recess arch partially
underground. Blocked aumbry above with pointed head, chamfered
surround and bold inner cusping. South wall of chancel with
double piscina under single pointed arch. Gravestone in chancel
floor to John Porter, rector, died 1688.


Listing NGR: TF2043378867

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.