History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Alvingham Lock and Inverted Syphon Tf 365909

A Grade II Listed Building in Alvingham, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3972 / 53°23'49"N

Longitude: 0.0519 / 0°3'6"E

OS Eastings: 536528

OS Northings: 390893

OS Grid: TF365908

Mapcode National: GBR XYT4.1X

Mapcode Global: WHHJM.RWX0

Entry Name: Alvingham Lock and Inverted Syphon Tf 365909

Listing Date: 15 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063080

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195450

Location: Alvingham, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Alvingham

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Alvingham St Adelwold

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Manby

Listing Text

ALVINGHAM NORTH COCKERINGTON ROAD
TF 39 SE (north-east side)
4/8
Alvingham Lock and
inverted syphon (formerly
15.4.85 listed under Civil Parish
of Keddington) TF 365909
- II

Lock. 1767 by John Grundy. Red brick, limestone ashlar dressings, wood and
cast iron. Lock chamber walls of 4 concave brick sections on either side with
timber posts, now partially intact and exposed, in between. Posts partly
hidden by large ashlar blocks. Tops ashlar coped. Timber beams survive where
lock gates originally hung with some of iron fittings still in place. End
sections of embankment slope downwards to curved ends, and southern sections
include a large basin for waiting barges to moor in, though much of this basin
is now silted up, and it too ends in curved embankments. 2 blocked, semi-
circular brick drain openings in west side of lock chamber. The river Lud,
running north to south, is culverted and passes under the lock by means of an
inverted syphon. Navigation abandoned in 1924.


Listing NGR: TF3652890893

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.