History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Julian

A Grade II Listed Building in Benniworth, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3192 / 53°19'9"N

Longitude: -0.1859 / 0°11'9"W

OS Eastings: 520941

OS Northings: 381786

OS Grid: TF209817

Mapcode National: GBR WZ41.KW

Mapcode Global: WHHJX.3TRT

Entry Name: Church of St Julian

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063091

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195376

Location: Benniworth, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Benniworth

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Asterby Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Benniworth

Listing Text

BENNIWORTH CHURCH LANE
TF 18 SW
(south side)
3/1 Church of
St. Julian
14.9.66
G.V. II
Parish church. Mid C12, mid C13, 1769, 1812, almost entirely
rebuilt 1875 by James Fowler. Coursed greenstone rubble,
limestone ashlar dressings, some ironstone rubble. Slate roofs
with decorative red ridge tiles, stone coped gables and cross-
finials. West tower, nave with north and south transepts,
chancel with north vestry. 3 stage C12 west tower heavily
restored in C19, with single stage clasping buttresses with
plinth. C12 west door heavily restored in C19 with flattened
round head with double chevroned inner order and soffit, single
order of billet and outer hollow and roll partially overlapped by
rich cusping. Outer plain rectangular jambs with moulded
imposts, inner double chevroned jambs. Plank doors. Slit light
above with round relieving arch. Moulded string course above and
below slit light above. Bell stage with bell openings on all 4
sides, each with 2 round headed, narrow lights, each with hood
mould. Moulded eaves, parapet and pyramidal slate roof with
weathervane. North side of nave with lancet with hood mould.
North transept of 1769 mostly rebuilt in 1875, with plinth and
string course. North side with central 2 stage buttress with
plinth and gable, flanked by single lancets with hood moulds and
vesica with hood mould above. C19 north vestry with 2 light
rectangular window. East doorway with Caernarvon head and
plank door. Chancel of 1769 and 1812 mostly rebuilt in 1875. 2
stage angle buttresses flank east end with string course and 3
eastern lancets, that in centre, taller, each with hood mould.
South side of chancel with plinth and moulded string course. 2
stage buttress flanked by single lancets, each with hood mould.
Stone set to east of buttress inscribed "GPAC 26 1812". South
transept of 1769 mostly rebuilt in 1875. East side with large
pilaster buttress and string course. South side of transept with
plinth, string course, central 2 stage buttress with moulded
plinth and gable, flanked by single lancets each with hood mould.
Vesica with hood mould, above. 2 plaques with workman's names
inscribed in plaster recording restoration work in 1983. South
side of nave with high C12 string course with narrow, round
headed light below to east. Pair of lancets break through string
course to west, both with hood moulds. Porch interior with C19
round headed ironstone doorway with chamfered imposts and
rectangular jambs. Plank doors. C19 2 bay arcades to north and
south transepts, each with central round pier, corbelled responds
and double chamfered pointed heads. Mid C13 chancel arch with
pointed, double chamfered head, polygonal responds, moulded
capitals, large abaci and high plinths. C19 north vestry doorway
with pointed head, chamfered surround in one, filleted hood mould
with ornate label stops. C19 aumbry to east. South wall with
high panelled seat set into wall beneath window. C19 reredos
with cusped, traceried panels, C19 altar rail. C15 screen very
heavily restored in 1905 with C15 moulded wood vertical supports
and horizontal rail, C19 cusped traceried panels, re-using C15
rosettes, 6 C19 statues alternating with coats of arms. C19 wood
cross above central archway. C19 wagon roofs, polygonal wooden
pulpit and lecturn. C12 round font with interesecting arcading,
very heavily restored in C19. Dr. G. C. Tennyson, father of
Alfred, Lord Tennyson, was rector 1802-31, although absentee in
later years. Source: Lincoln Public Library. Ross Manuscript.
Volume X Wraggoe, p.56.


Listing NGR: TF2094181786

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.