History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Barkwith, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3175 / 53°19'3"N

Longitude: -0.2514 / 0°15'5"W

OS Eastings: 516579

OS Northings: 381490

OS Grid: TF165814

Mapcode National: GBR VZP2.CG

Mapcode Global: WHHJW.3WJ3

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 6 February 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063096

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195384

Location: East Barkwith, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: East Barkwith

Built-Up Area: East Barkwith

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: East Barkwith St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
East Barkwith

Listing Text

EAST BARKWITH CHURCH LANE
TF 18 SE
(south side)
2/9 Church of
St. Mary
II*

Parish church. Early C12, mid C13, mid C15, C17, 1846 by J. B.
Atkinson, 1868-9 by R. J. Withers. Coursed ironstone rubble,
coursed limestone rubble, greenstone rubble blocks, limestone
ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles and
stone coped gables with cross finials. West tower, nave with
north and south aisles, south porch, chancel with north vestry,
south organ chamber. Plinth runs round entire church. Mid C15
ironstone 3 stage west tower with 2 lower moulded string courses
and diagonal 3 stage buttresses. Pointed west window with
bowtell moulded surround, 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, vertical
tracery with some crenellated decoration, hood mould and head
label stops. 2 moulded string courses above. C17 bell openings
on all 4 sides, each a pair of rectangular lights divided by
filleted mullion. Moulded eaves with corner gargoyles, broad
battlements and small ornate pinnacles on corners. North aisle
of 1868-9. Rectangular west window with single ogee cusped
light, 2 cusped oculi and rectangular window. 2 stage diagonal
buttress. 2 three light windows with 2 light window to right and
2 light window to left, all with cusped ogee heads, cusped oculi
and rectangular hood moulds. Parapet above. 2 stage buttress to
east. North vestry of 1868-9 with pointed north doorway with
chamfered surround and plank door. 2 light rectangular east
window with ogee cusped heads and rectangular hood mould.
Chancel of 1846 with moulded string course. North side with
single narrow rectangular window with cusped, pointed head and
rectangular hood mould. Pointed east window with 3 cusped and
pointed lights, vertical tracery and hood mould. South side with
rectangular 2 light window with cusped pointed heads and hood
mould. Gabled organ chamber of 1868 to west with string course
and diagonal 2 stage buttresses. South window with rectangular
window with 2 pointed, cusped lights and rectangular hood mould.
South side of nave rebuilt in 1868 with 2 rectangular windows,
that to right of 2 lights, to left of 3 lights, and with ogee
cusped lights, cusped oculi and rectangular hood mould. C15
gabled south porch with small windows in east and west sides,
each of 2 small, pointed cusped lights cut out of single stone.
Pointed south doorway with moulded head and jambs in one, hood
mould, head label stops, that to east, C19. Niche above with
ornate canopy, Virgin and Child and angel corbel. Porch interior
with flanking wooden settles. C15 pointed south doorway with
moulded head and jambs in one and plank door. South side of nave
to west of porch with rectangular window of 2 cusped, ogee headed
lights with 4 cupsed oculi above and rectangular hood mould.
West end of south aisle with C19 lancet with chamfered surround.
Tall C15 interior tower arch with pointed head and richly moulded
jambs in one. North arcade of 1868-9 of 4 bays with double
chamfered, pointed heads, polygonal piers, semi-circular western
respond and polygonal eastern respond. Mid C13 ironstone south
arcade of 4 bays with double chamfered, pointed heads, polygonal
piers, semi-circular western respond and polygonal eastern
respond. Vestry doorway in east end of north aisle with pointed
head, chamfered surround in one and plank door. Organ chamber
archway in east end of south aisle with C19 pointed, chamfered
head and rectangular jambs. C15 pointed chancel arch with richly
moulded head and jambs in one. Chancel with north vestry doorway
with pointed head, chamfered surround in one and plank door.
Organ arch to south with pointed head and narrow chamfered
surround in one. C19 piscina to east with cusped ogee openings
to west and north divided by plain column. C19 roofs with ornate
ashlar corbels. Broad plaster band runs round chancel with
vineleaf and grape decoration. C19 reredos of 3 painted wooden
panels with censing angels flanking crucifix. C19 altar rail,
lecterns, C20 pews. Metal gilt pulpit by Christopher Turnor with
panels decorated with vine leaves and grapes. C15 octagonal font
on spurred plinth, tall octagonal base, bowl with heads, fleurons
and shields. Fragments of medieval glass incorporated into C19
window to left of altar.


Listing NGR: TF1657981490

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.