History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II Listed Building in Langton By Wragby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2764 / 53°16'35"N

Longitude: -0.2778 / 0°16'40"W

OS Eastings: 514934

OS Northings: 376877

OS Grid: TF149768

Mapcode National: GBR VZHK.N6

Mapcode Global: WHHK1.PXX3

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063104

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195400

Location: Langton By Wragby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Langton by Wragby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Langton by Wragby St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Wragby

Listing Text

LANGTON-BY-WRAGBY CHURCH LANE
TF 17 NW
(north side)
4/25 Church of
St. Giles
14.9.66
G.V. II
Parish church. Early C14, 1866 by Atkinson of York. Ironstone
and limestone coursed rubble, limestone ashlar dressings. Slate
roofs with decorative ridge tiles, stone coped gables with cross
finials. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel with north
vestry. Plinth runs round whole church. Early C14, 4 stage,
ironstone west tower with 3 stage angle buttresses. Pointed west
doorway with head and jambs in one, with inner chamfered order,
outer moulded order and plank door. Large pointed window with
C19 tracery, 3 pointed, cusped lights, 3 trefoils, hood mould
with large head label stops. Slit light above. 2 slit lights on
south side. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a pointed
head, 2 pointed cusped lights running up into vertical mullions
with mouchettes and hood mould. Battlements above with corner
gargoyles. Weathervane. North side of nave with 4 two stage
buttresses alternating with 4 pointed, two light windows with
oculus above, hood moulds and label stops. North vestry with
gable broken through by stack supported on angel corbel, and with
2 tall angle shafts. 2 narrow pointed cusped lights below
corbel. East doorway to vestry with pointed head, hood mould,
label stop heads and plank door. East end of chancel with large
pointed window with 2 pointed cusped lights flanking single light
with irregularly shaped head, oculus above, hood mould and head
label stops. South side of chancel with 2 pointed, cusped
windows with hood mould running into string course on either
side. South side of nave with 3 two stage buttresses alternating
with 3 pointed windows each with 2 pointed cusped lights with
oculus, hood mould and label stops. Steeply gabled south porch
with large pointed doorway with single flanking shafts with plain
moulded capitals, moulded head with cusped inner order, hood
mould and head label stops. Inner south doorway with pointed
head, plain surround and plank door. Interior tower arch with
C14 double chamfered pointed head dying into chamfered jambs.
C19 chancel arch with pointed head with 3 filleted rolls,
responds with cluster of 3 rolls with fillet on central roll,
foliate capitals, filleted hood mould and head label stops. C19
timber roofs with ornate ashlar corbels. Chancel with ball
flower corbelling and plain, pointed vestry doorway with plank
door. Pointed piscina to east with inner, open work cusping,
hood mould and ornate label stops. Reredos with lower tiled area
with grape and vine leaf decoration. Upper ashlar panels with
Evangelists and crucifix picked out in gold. C19 pews, altar
rail,lectern and stone, panelled pulpit. C19 cruciform ashlar
font with red and green marble detailing and 4 marble shafts with
crocket capitals. Black and grey marble monument to Ann Marwood,
died 1660, with upper cartouche with coat of arms, fruit and
festoons. Slate monument with pink, streaked marble surround to
Barbara Evre of Washingbrooke, died 1657, with broken, segmental 1
pediment, cartouche painted gold, red and black. Source:
Lincoln Public Library. Bankes Collection. Volume 3, p,13.


Listing NGR: TF1493476877

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.