History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Covenham St. Mary, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4287 / 53°25'43"N

Longitude: 0.0148 / 0°0'53"E

OS Eastings: 533965

OS Northings: 394324

OS Grid: TF339943

Mapcode National: GBR XXKS.0M

Mapcode Global: WHHJM.629T

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 9 September 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063109

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195311

Location: Covenham St. Mary, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Covenham St Mary

Built-Up Area: Covenham St Mary

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Fotherby St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Cornisholme

Listing Text

TF 39 SW COVENHAM ST. MARY MAIN STREET

7/4 Church of
St. Mary
9.9.67
II*

Parish church. c.1359, C15, late C18, C19. Squared chalk,
limestone and ironstone rubble, red brick, with slate and pantile
roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel, south porch. The C15 2
stage chalk tower has plinth, stepped angle buttresses and
embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. To belfry stage are 4
paired cusped headed C19 lights under pointed arches. The west
window is of 2 cusped headed lights with panel tracery, moulded
surround and hood with human head label stops. The north nave
wall has a blocked C15 doorway with chamfered ogee head, beyond
are 2 three light windows, with trefoil heads to the lights,
panel tracery and moulded surrounds and hoods with human head
label stops. The chancel north wall has 2 two light windows
having cusped ogee heads, panel tracery, triangular heads with
moulded hoods. The east window is C14 of 3 lights with trefoil
heads, curvilinear tracery, single chamfered surround and moulded
door. Chancel south wall has 2 windows matching those to the
north plus a lower window with cusped arched head, double
chamfered surround and hood. The stone in the eastern reveal
bears a scratch dial. The 2 windows in the south nave wall match
those to the north. The late C18 south porch in brick with
raised coped gables and kneelers with pantile roof, has a round
arched outer opening with keyblock, containing a wooden Gothick
railed gate. The C14 inner doorway has a continuous sunk wave
moulding and moulded hood. The late C18 door has Gothick arches
in the 6 panels. Interior. The C15 tower arch springs from
human head corbels supporting octagonal brackets and is double
chamfered. In the tower is a pegged stair ladder. The nave roof
is a C19 timber barrel vault, but is supported on massive C15
braced ties, with blank shields to the ends of the braces,
resting on probably repositioned C15 corbels, some of which are
decorated with grotesque figures. The nave walls are lined with
C18 raised and fielded dado panelling. In the chancel which is
undivided from the nave is an ogee headed piscina in the south
wall and in the north is a fine C14 tomb recess with moulded ogee
surround and pierced cusped tracery. Attached to the rear wall
of the recess is a small brass to Sir John Skipwith who died in
1400, showing the deceased in full plate armour with sword,
misericord, feet resting on a lion. This was removed from the
church at Covenham St. Bartholomew. Fittings. There are C19
fine brass altar rails and good C17 oak altar table with turned
legs. The C15 octagonal font with moulded top has fleurons,
beneath which are shields on each face separated by foliage. The
base is moulded with stop chamfers to angles. There is a
handsome octagonal cast iron paraffin stove having pierced Gothic
panels to the sides, shaped top with knop and drop handles. Pews
and pulpit are C20. There is a late C14 incised slab to John
Merle, rector. The chancel was licensed in 1359.


Listing NGR: TF3396594324

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.