History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edith

A Grade II Listed Building in Brackenborough with Little Grimsby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.402 / 53°24'7"N

Longitude: -0.0063 / 0°0'22"W

OS Eastings: 532647

OS Northings: 391316

OS Grid: TF326913

Mapcode National: GBR XYD3.F6

Mapcode Global: WHHJL.WR6B

Entry Name: Church of St Edith

Listing Date: 9 September 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063120

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195336

Location: Brackenborough with Little Grimsby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Brackenborough with Little Gri

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Fotherby St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Louth

Listing Text

TF 39 SW LITTLE GRIMSBY MAIN STREET
(in grounds of
Little Grimsby
Hall)

7/29 Church of
St. Edith
9.9.67
G.V. II

Parish church. C15, restored 1777, 1855 and 1891. Rendered and
whitewashed stone with ironstone and ashlar dressings, lead
roofs. Nave with bellcote and chancel. The west end has a
continuous moulded 4 centred arched doorway with trefoil
spandrels and moulded square hood with human head labels. Over
the arch an inscription "repaired 1891". Above is a quatrefoil
containing the initials ED IIH and the date 1500 with P above.
C19 gabled bellcote with cross. North side is blank. Chancel
east wall has a C19 window with wooden intersecting tracery and
moulded hood. Chancel south wall has 2 C15 2 light windows with
cusped heads and square moulded hoods. The south wall of the
nave has one C19 2 light window and a C15 2 light window, with
cusped heads and moulded pointed hood. Interior. The chancel
arch is basket shaped. The nave has a queen post roof and the
chancel king post roof is dated 1777. In the chancel is a C18
font reset as a piscina. Fittings. All fittings C19, with 4
commandment boards, 2 hatchments and to either side of the altar
are 2 oak figures of angels playing instruments. On the north
side of the chancel a scrolled bracket supports a marble bust of
Lady F. Beauclerk d.1877.


Listing NGR: TF3264791316

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.