History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and St Gabriel

A Grade II Listed Building in Binbrook, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4283 / 53°25'41"N

Longitude: -0.1777 / 0°10'39"W

OS Eastings: 521176

OS Northings: 393937

OS Grid: TF211939

Mapcode National: GBR WX6S.BR

Mapcode Global: WHHJJ.73M3

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Gabriel

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063134

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195263

Location: Binbrook, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Binbrook

Built-Up Area: Binbrook

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Binbrook St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
binbrook

Listing Text

BINBROOK LOUTH ROAD
TF 29 SW
(north side)
2/11 Church of
St. Mary and
9.3.67 St. Gabriel
G.V. II

Parish church. 1869 by James Fowler of Louth in Early English
style. Squared rockfaced ironstone ashlar with limestone ashlar
dressings. Stone coped slate roofs with decorative clay ridge
tiles. Western tower, nave, facetted chancel, aisles, south
porch and vestry. Tower of 3 stages, has moulded parapet,
stepped set back buttresses, chamfered off set to belfry stage
rising to a broach spire with floriate finial, in the base of
which are 2 light gabled lucarnes and small decorative gablettes
at the top of the spire in the 4 principal directions. To belfry
stage are paired louvred openings, trefoils over, set in moulded
surrounds with angle shafts. Stair turret in south east angle.
West wall has 2 light ground floor window with sexfoil and to
middle stage a double chamfered lancet. The north aisle is lit
by 5 paired pointed lights in the north wall and a similar light
to the west, all with alternating quatrefoils and trefoils. At
the east end of the nave roof is a chimney stack with moulded
top. The vestry has 2 two light windows and a pointed arched
door. The chancel has a trefoil arched eaves cornice with
floriate pendants. Each wall contains a 2 light window with
sexfoil. The south aisle matches the north with the addition of
a window in the east end. All windows have concave chamfered
surrounds and hoods with floriate stops. The gabled south porch
has a richly moulded outer arch with paired shafted reveals with
stiff leaf capitals and annular bases. To either side of the
porch are C14 stone mortars with lugs. The porch has stone
side benchesand single lancet side lights and an inner doorway
with chamfered surround, cable moulded hood and floriate stops.
Interior. The 5 bay arcades have alternating keeled and filleted
octofoil piers, moulded capitals, double chamfered arches and
moulded hoods with floriate label stops. Above the piers are
alternating sunk quatrefoils and trefoils. The tower arch has
triple responds, moulded capitals and 2 chamfered and moulded
orders, hood mould and floriate label stops. The chancel arch
has keeled responds, stiff leaf capitals and moulded head. At
the east end of the north aisle is a pointed arch with recut C13
chamfered voussoirs and C19 keeled responds to the organ chamber.
In the chancel north wall is a double chamfered archway to the
organ chamber and further east a doorway and aumbry both with
pointed moulded heads. In the south east wall of the chancel is
an elaborate sedilia with cusped trefoil heads and crocketed
gables. The moulded roof corbels are linked by a frieze of
chevrons and pellets. In the chancel and tower windows is C19
stained glass by Ward and Hughes. All fittings are 1869 apart
from the chancel screen of 1884. The circular ashlar pulpit is
supported on low round columns and has trefoil headed blank
arcading round the sides. On the north wall of the aisle is an
hatchment of 1864 to Richard Bewley Caton. The font is C14 and
has plain octagonal bowl now supported on C19 marble shafts and
ashlar base. Originally there were 2 parishes with separate
churches dedicated to St. Mary and St. Gabriel. The present
building was erected on the site of the Church of St. Mary after
the parishes were amalgamated.


Listing NGR: TF2117693937

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.