History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II Listed Building in Edlington with Wispington, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2286 / 53°13'42"N

Longitude: -0.196 / 0°11'45"W

OS Eastings: 520519

OS Northings: 371688

OS Grid: TF205716

Mapcode National: GBR HQT.R7R

Mapcode Global: WHHKG.Y3TR

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063170

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195245

Location: Edlington with Wispington, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Edlington with Wispington

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Hemingby group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Hemingby

Listing Text

WISPINGTON CHURCH LANE
TF 27 SW
4/63 Church of
St. Margaret
14-9-66
II
Parish church, now closed. 1863 by John Atkinson of York.
Squared grey sandstone rubble with limestone dressings, slate
roofs with stone coped gables and crosses fleury. Western tower,
nave, chancel, south porch, vestry. The 2 stage tower projects
only slightly from the west end of the nave. It has 2 stepped
buttresses which support a blank pointed arch. The 2 light west
window has a trefoil over and there is a quatrefoil above. The
belfry stage has paired lancets in the principal directions and
it is surmounted by a broached spire. To the north wall are 3
paired lancets and a single lancet window. To the north east
angle of the nave is a chimney with ashlar stack. The vestry has
a single east window. The chancel east window is of 3 pointed
lights, united under a hood mould, with label stops. The chancel
south wall has 2 lancets with hood moulds having carved
decorative label stops, featuring birds and animals. The nave
south wall has 2 pairs of flush lancets and the gabled south
porch has a single hollow chamfered order to the pointed doorway,
with hood mould and label stops, and a single chamfered inner
doorway. Interior. Font, pulpit and a relief of St. Margaret
were all carved in stone by the vicar, Rev. Charles Pratt Terrot.
Monuments. To the Philips family, one 1715 with putto heads and
a skull, the other 1720 more architectural with pilasters. This
family lived at Hall Farm, Wispington during late C16-1720.


Listing NGR: TF2051971688

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Hall Farm House
    Edlington with Wispington, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.