History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Helen

A Grade II Listed Building in Edlington with Wispington, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.226 / 53°13'33"N

Longitude: -0.1538 / 0°9'13"W

OS Eastings: 523346

OS Northings: 371474

OS Grid: TF233714

Mapcode National: GBR HQW.PYH

Mapcode Global: WHHKH.L5ZQ

Entry Name: Church of St. Helen

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063178

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195199

Location: Edlington with Wispington, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Edlington with Wispington

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Hemingby group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Thimbleby

Listing Text

EDLINGTON MAIN STREET
TF 27 SW
4/14 Church of
St. Helen
14-9-66
II
Parish church. C12, C13, C16, 1860 restoration and rebuilding by
James Fowler of Louth. Squared greenstone rubble, with ashlar
dressings, plain and fish scale tiled roofs. Western tower,
nave, chancel, south aisle and porch. The C16 3 stage tower has
moulded plinth, angled buttresses and C19 belfry stage with
battlemented parapet and west window of 3 lights with double
concave moulded surround and 4 centred arch with moulded head.
To first stage are single rectangular lights and the belfry has
paired lancets with angle shafts. The blocked C13 north arcade
is visible externally with reset late C13 aisle windows in the
blocking, one with intersecting tracery and 2 with quatrefoils.
The chancel has a C19 east window of 3 lights with roundels. The
south wall has 2 C19 lancets and there is a similar window in the
east wall of the south aisle. On the south aisle wall are 2
paired C19 lights and on the south side only a clerestorey
comprising 3 C19 lancets. The west wall of the aisle has a
further single lancet. The gabled south porch has an outer
deeply moulded C19 opening and a smaller inner doorway with
moulded head and labels. Interior. The Romanesque tower arch
has plain reveals and simply chamfered imposts supporting 2
square orders. On the north side the 3 bay C13 arcade, noted
externally, can be seen to have octagonal piers and responds,
moulded capitals and double chamfered arches, having hood moulds
and label stops, one an ammonite. The south arcade also of 3
bays, is with the exception of the octagonal responds entirely of
the 1860 restoration, and even the detail of the eastern respond
cannot be trusted since the fine medieval head seems to have been
reset. The C19 chancel arch has triple engaged shafts to either
side and a moulded arch. Roof and fittings are all C19 except
for 2 C17 chip carved chests in the south aisle, brought here
from Wispington Church in 1974. A further chest is in the nave
at the west end. The square font, which was recut in C19, is
decorated with blank round headed arches, and dated 1599.


Listing NGR: TF2334671474

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.