This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3662 / 53°21'58"N
Longitude: -0.0074 / 0°0'26"W
OS Eastings: 532681
OS Northings: 387332
OS Grid: TF326873
Mapcode National: GBR XYDJ.50
Mapcode Global: WHHJS.VNN8
Entry Name: Reading Room and Library
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063212
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195031
Location: Louth, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Louth
Built-Up Area: Louth
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Louth
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
(Reading Room and Library)
TF 38 NW 1/26 2.11.54.
Formerly the Mechanics' Institute. Late C18 or early C19. 2 storeys in stucco-covered
painted brick. Plinth. Quoins to ground floor, heavy cornice at 1st floor level
and from this 2 end pilasters with composite capitals rise to the rebuilt parapet
which screens the roof. 3 windows, hung sashes in plain reveals with plain cills,
all having a triangular pediment on 2 small consoles. The central window of
the 1st floor is taller and as a wide shouldered architrave, a larger pediment
and larger consoles. Doorway is semi-circular-headed with fanlight and 2 panelled
doors and is flanked by 2 pilasters supporting an entablature. 2 steps, 2 foot
scrapers. One window section set back to the left, ground floor window altered.
Interior:- Large room with Ionic pilasters to walls, entablature with dentilled
cornice, musicians gallery on posts. C18 style wood fireplace with broken pedimented
shelf now obscured by shelves. Part of room decoration possibly of 1853 when
the roof skylight was added. Room to rear with delicate provincial Adam style
decoration including enriched ceiling with swagged frieze, enriched wood fireplace
flanked by doors with ornamental friezes, and good glazed screen into larger
room with huge enriched semi-circular fanlight over, side lights and glazed doors.
The Mechanics' Institute was originally the Mansion House of Louth and the centre
of Municipal life.
Nos 6 to 12 (even) form a group.
Listing NGR: TF3268187332
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings