History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Radegund

A Grade II* Listed Building in Grayingham, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4541 / 53°27'14"N

Longitude: -0.5928 / 0°35'33"W

OS Eastings: 493543

OS Northings: 396180

OS Grid: SK935961

Mapcode National: GBR SX9H.GJ

Mapcode Global: WHGGZ.VFXW

Entry Name: Church of St Radegund

Listing Date: 16 December 1964

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063350

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196731

Location: Grayingham, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN21

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Grayingham

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Grayingham St Radegunda

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Grayingham

Listing Text

SK 99 NW GRAYINGHAM CHURCH LANE
(South side)

1/40 Church of
16.12.64 St. Radegund

II*

Parish church. c,l185, C14, 1773, restored by James Fowler in
c.1870. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, slate roof
with stone coped east gable with finial. West tower, nave and
chancel in one, north vestry. Late C12 and C14 very broad west
tower of 3 stages with large, 6 stage diagonal west buttresses;
single 4 stage buttress in centre of both north and south sides,
and 5 stage eastern buttresses visible where later nave added.
West doorway of c.1185 of 3 orders. Inner order of 2 slender
moulded shafts with very narrow capitals of tall veined leaves.
2 outer orders with shafts restored in C19 with crocket capitals
and grooved moulded abaci. Pointed head with 2 inner orders
moulded, the outer with chipstar decoration. Moulded hood mould
with foliated label stops and ribbed plank door. Late C14 window
above with segmental pointed head, 2 cusped lights and continuous
chamfered mullion. Moulded string course above with plain 2nd
stage defined by upper moulded string course. Late C14 bell
chambers on all 4 sides, each with segmental pointed head, 2
cusped lights and continuous chamfered mullion. Moulded eaves
with 2 projecting gargoyles on north side and 2 more on south
side. Battlements with ornate corner pinnacles. North side of
nave has 2 pointed C19 windows each of 2 pointed lights with
cusped oculus above and hood mould with label stops. 2 stage
buttress with plinth and string course beneath windows. C19
north vestry with plinth and large chimney to west. North side
has rectangular window with 3 trefoil headed lights. Doorway to
east with Caernarvon head and plank door. East side of vestry
with 2 pointed cusped lights. East end of chancel with plinth
and large pointed window restored in C19, of 3 lights with
transom, window beneath transom blocked, C19 tracery, hood mould
and label stops. Plinth runs round south side of chancel and
nave. 5 pointed C19 windows, each of 2 lights surmounted by
cusped oculus and hood mould. Westernmost window with foliated
label stops. Large early C14 interior tower arch with triple
chamfered pointed head supported by cluster of 3 responds, the
central one larger with fillet, and plain capitals. C19 organ
arch with pointed, chamfered head, hood mould and foliated label
stops. C19 timber tie-beam roof on stone corbels. C19 pews,
pulpit, altar rail, brass lecturn. C19 ornate reredos by A. B.
Skipworth with central copper-gilt relief of the Crucifixion by
Conrad Dressler. C19 octagonal font with rosette panels and tall
crocketed hood. Single small C19 monument. 2 C14 fragments of
clustered capitals and octagonal shafts.


Listing NGR: SK9354396180

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.