History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edmund

A Grade II Listed Building in Hemswell Cliff, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3983 / 53°23'54"N

Longitude: -0.5481 / 0°32'53"W

OS Eastings: 496634

OS Northings: 390038

OS Grid: SK966900

Mapcode National: GBR SYM4.4H

Mapcode Global: WHGH6.KV64

Entry Name: Church of St Edmund

Listing Date: 16 December 1964

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063353

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196740

Location: Hemswell Cliff, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Hemswell Cliff

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Hemswell All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Hemswell

Listing Text

SK 99 SE HEMSWELL SPITAL-IN-THE-
STREET ROAD
(West side)

3/49 Church of
16.12.64 St. Edmund

G.V. II

Quarter sessions court house now church.C16. Coursed limestone
rubble, limestone ashlar. Slate roof with stone coped gables and
bell turret on east gable of square plan, base, 4 arcaded
openings with four centred arches under rectangular heads and
moulded cornice. Rectangular plan. Plinth. East doorway with
four centred moulded arch under rectangular head, moulded jambs
and plank door. Stone above inscribed:

"Fui Ao Di 1398 }
Non Fui 1594 } Dom Dei et Pauperum
Sum 1616 }
Qui Hanc Deus Hunc Destruet."

and a smaller datestone above inscribed 'G P 1830'. Single cross
mullioned chamfered window on north, west and south sides, each
of 3 lights, upper lights with four centred heads and moulded
cornice. Interior has panelled ceiling with ornate brackets with
corbels. C18 altar rail. C19 lecturns, C20 pews. Inscription
suggests that a hostel for the poor existed on this site in 1398
and 1616, however, it had temporarily fallen out of use in 1594.


Listing NGR: SK9663490038

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.