This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4395 / 53°26'22"N
Longitude: -0.5954 / 0°35'43"W
OS Eastings: 493397
OS Northings: 394556
OS Grid: SK933945
Mapcode National: GBR SX8N.WR
Mapcode Global: WHGGZ.TTN2
Entry Name: Church of St Alkmund
Listing Date: 16 December 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063375
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196692
Location: Blyborough, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN21
District: West Lindsey
Civil Parish: Blyborough
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Blyborough St Alkmund
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SIXTEENTH LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC
INTEREST COMPLETED UNDER SECTION 54 OF THE TOWN AND COUNTRY
PLANNING ACT 1971
SK 99 SW BLYBOROUGH CHURCH LANE
2/1 Church of
16.12 .64 I
Parish church. Early C13, mid C13, C15, C18, restored and partly
rebuilt in 1877 by James Fowler. Coursed limestone and ironstone
rubble. Slate roof with decorative red ridge tiles and stone
coped gables with finials. West tower, nave with north aisle and
south porch, chancel with north chapel. Small C18 west tower of
2stages with plinth, moulded string course and quoins. West
lancet with hood mould and label stops. Keyed oculus above.
String course set beneath bell openings on west, north and south
sides, each a round headed opening with raised keystone. Moulded
eaves above with 4 large re-used medieval corner gargoyles.
Battlements above. Original wall of nave with 3 string courses
visible in corner of tower and north aisle with C19 2 stage
buttress to right. Plinth runs round C19 north aisle with
western lancet with hood mould and single label stop. North side
proper with 2 pointed windows each of 2 lights with cusped oculus
above, hood mould and label stops. Windows divided by 2 stage
buttress. C13 north chapel of chancel restored in C19 with steep
pitched roof. 2 stage buttress to west with doorway to east with
trefoiled head, round hood mould and head label stops. Pointed 2
light window to east with quatrefoil above, hood mould and
medieval head label stops. East end of chapel with plinth and
high string course, a large pointed window of 2 cusped lights
with quatrefoil above and nook shafts, hood mould and head label
stops restored in C19. C19 east window of chancel flanked by 2
stage angle buttresses, of 3 lancets with hood mould and head
label stops. South side of chancel with C19 rectangular window
of 3 ogee headed cusped lights with hood mould to east, and tall
C15 rectangular window to west with cusped ogee headed lights.
Large 2 stage buttress to west. Nave with 2 C19 pointed windows,
each of 2 pointed lights with quatrefoil, hood mould and label.
stops. C19 gabled south porch with single pointed lights in east
and west walls, squat clasping buttresses and pointed doorway
with single flanking shafts, hood mould and label stops heads.
Porch interior flanked by stone benches. Moulded, pointed C19
south doorway with single flanking shafts, moulded head, hood
mould and foliated label stops. Interior north aisle with 3 bay
arcade of c.1300 with keeled responds, circular piers, stiff leaf
capitals of various designs and double chamfered pointed arches.
Double chamfered pointed chancel arch with keeled responds and
plain capitals. Large double chamfered mid C13 pointed arch
leading from north aisle into north-east chapel with filletted
responds, abacii with beading and nail head decoration, and
capitals with scored leaf designs. North wall of chancel with
long ogee headed tomb recess with ornate finial. Another long
ogee tomb recess with finial in north chapel. Freestanding tomb
in north chapel restored in C19 with effigy of Robert Conyng,
priest, died 1434, with damaged angels at pillowed head and
griffin at feet. C15 octagonal font with foliated base. Part of
Anglo-Saxon funerary slab with interlace decoration. Ornate
marble monument on north wall of nave to John Broadby, died 1794,
and his wife, Elizabeth. Several C19 monuments. C20 font, pews
and pulpit. C19 brass lectern. C19 timber roofs.
Listing NGR: SK9339594552
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings