History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Caistor Grammar School Old Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Caistor, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4966 / 53°29'47"N

Longitude: -0.3202 / 0°19'12"W

OS Eastings: 511527

OS Northings: 401298

OS Grid: TA115012

Mapcode National: GBR VX60.G9

Mapcode Global: WHHJ2.1CST

Entry Name: Caistor Grammar School Old Building

Listing Date: 1 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063385

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196601

Location: Caistor, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN7

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Caistor

Built-Up Area: Caistor

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Caistor with Clixby

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Nettleton

Listing Text

TA 1001-1101 CAISTOR CHURCH STREET
(North Side)

9/50 Caistor Grammar
1-11-66 School Old
Building

G.V. II

School hall. 1631 with alterations of C19 heavily restored in
1930. Squared coursed ironstone rubble with sandstone and
limestone dressings, rudimentary quoins, pantiled roof with
raised stone roll moulded coped gables; one wall stack.
Rectangular plan with C19 extension to right. Single storey 3
bay south front surmounted by a hollow moulded string course with
roll crested battlements above. Off centre planked 1930 door
has a plain rounded arched head, originally with chamfered
arrises. Above the door is an inscribed rectangular panel,
1930, set in a hollow moulded sandstone head with a Latin
inscription recording the foundation of the school by Francis
Rawlinson, Rector of the Church of St. Nicholas at South Kelsey
in 1631. To either side of the door are single slightly
projecting rectangular bays, each containing a 3 light window
beneath hollow moulded depressed 4 centred hood moulds with
simple horizontal stops. The leaded lights have iron transomes
and each has a single horizonatally hinged light at the base.
The mullions are chamfered, the hoods 4 centred, the spandrels
are sunken wedges. Inside, the panelling and other fittings
date from the 1930 restoration. The fireplace consists of a
moulded 4 centred arch stopping in stop chamfers, in the
spandrels are sunk stepped panels. In the north (rear) wall of
the building, 2 original large blocked windows can be seen to
either side of the projecting brick stack; there was a further
window, now blocked, high up in the west wall.


Listing NGR: TA1152701298

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.