History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Caistor House No 19

A Grade II Listed Building in Caistor, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4967 / 53°29'48"N

Longitude: -0.3157 / 0°18'56"W

OS Eastings: 511826

OS Northings: 401324

OS Grid: TA118013

Mapcode National: GBR VX70.F7

Mapcode Global: WHHJ2.3CXN

Entry Name: Caistor House No 19

Listing Date: 1 November 1966

Last Amended: 24 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063391

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196620

Location: Caistor, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN7

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Caistor

Built-Up Area: Caistor

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Caistor with Clixby

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Nettleton

Listing Text

TA 1001-1101 CAISTOR MARKET PLACE
(West Side)

9/70 Caistor House
No 19(formerly listed
1-11-66 as on Plough Hill)

G.V. II

Flats, formerly house, C17 with late C18 refronting. Stuccoed
brick with slate hipped roof and single central stack. 3 storey
5 bay front. Block stands on a platform with plinth and
dentillated cornice. Central entrance bay defined by full height
Ionic pilasters with pediment. 3 steps up to central 6 panelled
door in semi-circular headed opening with curvilinear traceried
fanlight and panelled reveals. Doorcase is crudely decorated
with a dowel imitation of reeding with dentillated frieze.
Above door is a plain panel bearing the date '1682', which cannot
be trusted. Doorway covered by an open porch supported by a pair
of round Ionic pillars with a pair of similar pillars in antis
flanking the door. Full entablature. Flanked by single glazing
bar sashes in painted plain stone surrounds with plain cornices
on dentils. Central semicircular headed first floor glazing bar
sash flanked by plain pilasters with moulded hood mould. Above
centre of window is a proud lozenge flanked by stone shields of
arms. Central window is flanked by pairs of glazing bar sashes
with painted stone surrounds and plain dentillated cornices with
beneath stucco anthemiae brackets. To second floor is a central
circular glazing bar fixed light with moulded stone surround.
Flanked by 2 smaller glazing bar sashes with painted stone
surrounds and anthemion brackets. In the pediment is a lion's
head.


Listing NGR: TA1182601324

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.