History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Caistor Primary School and School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Caistor, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4943 / 53°29'39"N

Longitude: -0.3158 / 0°18'57"W

OS Eastings: 511824

OS Northings: 401057

OS Grid: TA118010

Mapcode National: GBR VX71.F3

Mapcode Global: WHHJ2.3FVJ

Entry Name: Caistor Primary School and School House

Listing Date: 24 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063395

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196633

Location: Caistor, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN7

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Caistor

Built-Up Area: Caistor

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Caistor with Clixby

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Nettleton

Listing Text

TA 1001-1101 CAISTOR SOUTH DALE

9/84 Caistor Primary
School and School
House

II

Primary school, and house, built as the National School 1859-60
by Maugham & Fowler. Brick with ashlar dressings, gabled roofs
with red and black banded plain tiles. One ridge and 2 wall
stacks. Irregular seven bay front, school is single storey, the
school house of 2 storeys. Near the centre of the facade is a
chimney of shouldered form with a Star of David in dark header
bricks above a decorative plaque bearing the motto'Caistor
Parochial School 1859' and a recessed rectangular plaque
inscribed, 'This school was erected by the friends of Mr James
Green Dixon as a memorial of his long and valuable serivices in
the cause of religious education, 1859'. To either side are
single 5 light mullioned horizontally hinged casement windows in
chamfered plain surrounds. To the left a wing projects to the
road and in the gable is a 3 light window in the Gothick style
with 3 roundels over, flanked by brickwork decorated with dark
diapers made up of burnt black headers; the gable has a decorated
verge. Behind a later C19 screen wall, the facade terminates in
a pitched gabled doorway labelled 'Boys': this gable is also
decorated with corbelled bricks. To the right of the central
element, the porch for the Girls side is eaves on to the road and
contains 2 Gothic style quatrefoil windows in its exposed side.
Beyond is the gable end of the school house of 2 storeys with a
plain C20 casement window in a C19 chamfered ashlar surround
beneath relieving arch filled with tumbled brickwork. On the
first floor is a further C20 casement with an earlier ashlar
surround with a pointed relieving arch over a 'tympanum' of
tumbled brickwork. The gable overhangs and is supported on
scrolled timber brackets. There is a low brick wall with plinth
and ashlar coping crowned with decorative ironwork before the
buildings.


Listing NGR: TA1182401057

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.