History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monument to Skipworth Family in Graveyard of Church of St. Mary 12 Metres from East End

A Grade II Listed Building in South Kelsey, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4704 / 53°28'13"N

Longitude: -0.4316 / 0°25'53"W

OS Eastings: 504203

OS Northings: 398222

OS Grid: TF042982

Mapcode National: GBR TXF9.CN

Mapcode Global: WHGH2.B1QB

Entry Name: Monument to Skipworth Family in Graveyard of Church of St. Mary 12 Metres from East End

Listing Date: 3 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063442

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196538

Location: South Kelsey, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN7

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: South Kelsey

Built-Up Area: South Kelsey

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: South Kelsey St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Thornton le Moor

Listing Text

TF 09 NW SOUTH KELSEY WADDINGHAM ROAD

4/58 Monument to
Skipworth family
in graveyard of Church of
St. Mary
12 metres from
east end.
G.V. II

Chest tomb, monument to members of Skipworth family of Moortown
House; circa 1850 possibly designed by Butterfield; ashlar, in
high Gothic style, divided into 4 panels each marked by a stepped
and decorated buttress. The individual panels each bear an
inscription to a member of the Skipworth family and are
surmounted by a trefoil headed arch. The frieze above is also
inscribed. The spandrels between the arch and frieze have
hobnail decoration. The end panel is reserved for George
Skipworth who died in 1857 and who commisioned Butterfield to
alter the church in 1853.


Listing NGR: TF0420398222

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.