History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Centenary Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Market Rasen, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3855 / 53°23'7"N

Longitude: -0.3366 / 0°20'11"W

OS Eastings: 510730

OS Northings: 388921

OS Grid: TF107889

Mapcode National: GBR VY29.X3

Mapcode Global: WHGHH.S5XD

Entry Name: Methodist Centenary Chapel

Listing Date: 16 May 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063444

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196439

Location: Market Rasen, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Market Rasen

Built-Up Area: Market Rasen

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Market Rasen St Thomas the Apostle

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Market Rasen

Listing Text

TF 1088-1188 CHAPEL STREET
2/7
Methodist Centenary
Chapel

II*


1863. Immensely impressive classical style nonconformist chapel of brick with stone
dressings. Tall prostyle Ionic portico of 4 columns and 4 pilasters. 3 round headed
doorways with boldly rusticated surrounds and heavy keystones, topped with a cornice
and miniature pediment. 3 windows above, round headed sashes with blind balustrades
below. Rusticated quoins with bold stringcourse below first floor windows, stone
dentil cornice above and slate roof. Side elevations of 6 bays. 2 end bays slightly
projecting with quoins. Lower windows sashed with moulded surrounds, upper with round
heads, and moulded round hoods. Centre 4 bays, attached arcade with giant stock brick
pilasters. Parish room dated 1891 attached to south east corner. Two sets of
gatepiers with heavy iron railings and gates. Most of original fittings survive,
internally, including box pews, oval gallery and grand double-decker pulpit.


Listing NGR: TF1073088921

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.