History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Luke

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stickney, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.094 / 53°5'38"N

Longitude: 0.0048 / 0°0'17"E

OS Eastings: 534344

OS Northings: 357073

OS Grid: TF343570

Mapcode National: GBR JV5.218

Mapcode Global: WHHL5.1HKG

Entry Name: Church of St Luke

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063538

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196259

Location: Stickney, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE22

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Stickney

Built-Up Area: Stickney

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Stickney St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
New Bolingbroke

Listing Text

TF 35 NW STICKNEY MAIN STREET
(west side)

4/46 Church of
St. Luke
3.2.67
II*

Parish church. C13, C15, restored 1793, 1887 and 1900 by Bassett
Smith. Ashlar and red brick. Plain tile roofs to nave and
chancel, lead roof to south aisle. Single stacks to the vestry
and north chancel. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the
east nave, east chancel and porch. Buttressed. Tower, nave,
south aisle, south porch, north aisle, vestry and chancel. C15
angle buttressed tower part rebuilt 1900, set on a triple
chamfered plinth with moulded band over of 4 stages with bands
and embattled with single corner gargoyles. The west wall with
moulded 4 centred arched doorway with carved spandrels and
quatrefoil frieze over. Tudor hood mould and label stops. Above
is a single C15 arched 4 light window with cusped panel tracery,
hood mould and human head label stops. Above, to the west and
north sides are single quatrefoils set into rectangles. 2 stair
lights to the west side, single stair light and single clock face
to the south side. 4 arched bell chamber openings each with 3
lights above and below the single transoms, cusped panel tracery,
hood mould and label stops. The north aisle, rebuilt 1793, is
set on a chamfered plinth and is of ashlar with brick bands to
the north wall. West wall with single C15 pointed segmental
arched 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label
stops. The north wall has a single arched 3 light window with
cusped tracery. To the left is a pointed chamfered arched
doorway and further left 2 arched 3 light windows with cusped
tracery. To the right of the left window is a single ashlar
plaque dated 1793. The east wall has a single C19 arched 2 light
window with reticulated tracery. The C19 clerestory has a
single pair of arched lights with cusped tracery, to the left is
a single large cinquefoil set into a circle, a single similar
pair of lights, a single similar cinquefoil and on the far left a
single light window with cusped tracery. The east wall of the
nave with evidence of former roof line to chancel. The C19
chancel has in the north wall a single C19 arched 2 light window
with reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. To the
left is the projecting C19 lean-to vestry with pointed moulded
arched doorway in the north wall. The east wall has a single
pointed arched 2 light window with single transom and cupsed
tracery. The east and south chancel are set on a chamfered
plinth with band over. East wall with single large arched 5
light window with cusped tracery, hood mould, label stops and
stepped continuous sill band extending around the south chancel.
The south chancel has 2 C19 arched 2 light windows with
reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south
aisle, with parapet, is set on a chamfered plinth. The east wall
has a single C15 arched 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood
mould and label stops. The south wall has 2 pointed segmental
arched 3 light restored C15 windows with cusped tracery, hood
mould and decorative label stops. To the left is the gabled
porch, rebuilt 1887, with parapet. Moulded arched entrance with
hood mould and label stops, the east and west walls each with
single trefoil arched lights and 2 C14 gargoyles. Interior with
3 transverse ribs and inner C14 moulded arched doorway with C19
hood mould and decorative label stops. To the left is a single
C15 pointed segmental arched 3 light window with cusped tracery,
hood mould and decorative label stops. The west wall with single
similar larger 3 light window and similar hood mould and label
stops. The south clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior.
4 bay late C13 nave arcades with double chamfered arches,
quatrefoil piers and responds with fillets, the north arcade
capitals and the south arcade west respond decorated with
nailhead. Tall triple chamfered C15 tower arch. C19 moulded and
chamfered chancel arch supported on circular responds with
nailhead decorated capitals. Moulded arched vestry doorway with
hood mould and label stops, continuous sill band to south and
north chancel windows. C19 reredos and tripartite sedilia. The
south aisle with single arched piscina. C19 octagonal font with
blind cusped tracery. C19 nave and chancel roofs, nave roof
supported on 8 C15 human head corbels.


Listing NGR: TF3434457073

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.