History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spilsby Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Spilsby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1734 / 53°10'24"N

Longitude: 0.0985 / 0°5'54"E

OS Eastings: 540359

OS Northings: 366091

OS Grid: TF403660

Mapcode National: GBR KVN.1Q7

Mapcode Global: WHJLY.HH4J

Entry Name: Spilsby Methodist Church

Listing Date: 28 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063551

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196187

Location: Spilsby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Spilsby

Built-Up Area: Spilsby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Spilsby St James

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Spilsby

Listing Text

SPILSBY MARKET STREET
TF 4066-4166
(east side)
7/72 Spilsby Methodist
Church
G.V. II
Methodist chapel. 1877-8 by Charles Bell, in Geometric style.
Yellow stock brick with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Gable end
to street, having tall stepped gable buttresses, with central
doorway up 6 steps. Double doors, with traceried circle in
pointed tympanum. Double stepped arch with roll moulded bricks,
gablette over. Above a 6 light Geometric traceried window and in
the gable 3 stepped trefoil headed louvred lancets, and over a
plate traceried circle in pointed opening. The side front has
buttresses marking the 6 bays, each with 2 light windows with
segmental heads and 2 light pointed windows to gallery stage. To
the rear a 2 storey former caretaker's house with plain sash
windows. The interior of the chapel has a continuous upper
gallery on cast iron columns with floriate capitals. The wooden
balustrade has narrow piers and pointed openings. The wide span
roof is arch braced with quatrefoils in the spandrels, supported
on carved stone corbels and tied by iron rods. The raised
octagonal pulpit has a shafted pedestal, panels decorated with
cut out circles and narrow stairs with turned balusters. All
contemporary pews. The organ is by Foster and Andrews of Hull,
dated 1878. The entrance porch has original doors and side
panels, tiled floor and pair of commandment boards.


Listing NGR: TF4035966091

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.