History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II* Listed Building in Raithby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.183 / 53°10'58"N

Longitude: 0.0544 / 0°3'15"E

OS Eastings: 537379

OS Northings: 367065

OS Grid: TF373670

Mapcode National: GBR KVD.GKX

Mapcode Global: WHHKS.T826

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063584

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196154

Location: Raithby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Raithby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Raithby Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Raithby

Listing Text

RAITHBY MAIN STREET
TF 36 NE
(east side)
2/39 Church of
Holy Trinity
3.2.67
G.V. II*
Parish church. C12, reused C14 details, partly rebuilt 1873 by
Sir G. G. Scott, 1886 chancel enlarged by Temple Moore, tower
renewed by Hodgson Fowler, 1895. Squared greenstone rubble with
limestone ashlar dressings. Ashlar, lead roofs. Western tower,
nave, aisles, chancel, south porch. 3 stage tower in greenstone,
with plinth, chamfered string courses, plain parapet, corner
gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles. C15 re-cut belfry lights with
2 louvred openings with ogee heads and hollow chamfered
surrounds. C15 west doorway with moulded surround and triangular
head. Above a 4 light C15 window with hollow moulded surround
and C19 panel tracery. Above a trefoil headed light. On the
north side a wider buttress forms the stair tower. Ashlar north
aisle has a C14 recut 2 light west window with trefoil headsto
the lights and quatrefoil over, on the north side a bell moulded
plinth and cill band, and 3 broad stepped buttresses. Pointed
doorway in moulded surround, 2 two light C19 flat headed
windows with ogee heads to the lights. C14 2 light west north
aisle window with trefoil heads to the lights and mouchettes.
Tall C19 chapel with a pair of ogee headed lights and facetted
stack between. Pent roofed vestry with 4 centred arched headed
doorway and reset C16 2 light window, deeply set with cusped
heads to the lights and label hood mould. 3 light C15 east
window in hollow chamfered surround with C19 recut panel tracery.
Small quatrefoil over in gable. On the south side 2 C14 largely
recut C19 3 light flat headed windows with cusped ogee heads to
the lights. The south aisle has a taller similar 2 light east
window and 2 south windows. The westernmost coping is moulded
with a cusped and crocketed gablette. C19 gabled porch with
angle buttresses, continuously moulded pointed outer doorway and
a 2 light eastern window. C19 inner doorway with moulded pointed
head. Interior. Double chamfered pointed north nave arcade with
octagonal piers and capitals, moulded bases. The south nave has
been recut by Sir G. G. Scott and may have been C12 originally
with scalloped capital and chamfered arches. C19 chancel screen
and pews. Window by Kempe 1896. Interior not available for
inspection.


Listing NGR: TF3737967065

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.